Chesterfield fire crews used hose reel jets to extinguish huge town centre kitchen blaze

A huge blaze which started in the kitchen of a Chesterfield town centre restaurant yesterday was eventually extinguished by fire crews using hose reel jets.

Wednesday, 11th August 2021, 11:44 am
Updated Wednesday, 11th August 2021, 1:07 pm

Firefighters from Chesterfield, Staveley and Class Cross Fire Stations were called to a kitchen which was set alight on Lordsmill Street at 4.54pm yesterday (Tuesday, August 10).

The crews eventually extinguished the flames which could be seen hundreds of yards away and reportedly forced nearby offices to be evacuated, by using breathing apparatus and hose reel jets.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started in the kitchen on the ground floor of the three-storey property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This is how Lordsmill Street in Chesterfield looks today following yesterday's fire.

A spokesperson for the service said: “At 16:54 hours yesterday, 10 August 2021, crews from Chesterfield, Staveley and Clay Cross Fire Stations attended a kitchen fire on Lordsmill Street, Chesterfield.

“Crews used two breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire that started on the kitchen on the ground floor of the property.”

A large blaze broke out in Chesterfield on Tuesday, August 10. Image: Elise Hunt.

Support your Derbyshire Times by becoming a digital subscriber. You will see 70 per cent fewer ads on stories, meaning faster load times and an overall enhanced user experience. Click here to subscribe.

Crews were called to a kitchen fire at 4.54pm yesterday. Image: Lucy Olivia Brown.
No obvious signs of a fire remain.
Nearby offices were allegedly evacuated during the blaze on Lordsmill Street yesterday.