REPORT: Chesterfield 0-0 Havant & Waterlooville

The wait for a victory goes on and on for Martin Allen's Chesterfield, who spurned a host of chances in their goalless draw with Havant and Waterlooville.

Saturday, 17th November 2018, 4:00 pm
Updated Saturday, 17th November 2018, 5:04 pm
Action from Chesterfield's 0-0 draw with Havant & Waterlooville. Photo by Rachel Atkins.

It's 17 games without victory in the National League and while Allen can boast a nine-game unbeaten run, a section of the Proact voiced their disapproval at full-time this afternoon.

A dreadful first half performance was followed by a much better second period but despite laying siege to the Hawks' goal, the breakthrough never came.

Town's effort levels could not be denied, even if a scarcely believable number of goalbound efforts were.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ben Dudzinski played out of his skin in the away goal, defenders blocked shots and the woodwork played its part.

The Spireites began brightly, putting together several early attacks that resulted in blocked shots or crosses with no end product.

The first goalkeeper to be called into action was Callum Burton, Town's stopper beating away a fierce effort from Alfie Pavey, who got the better of Laurence Maguire in the air to create the shooting opportunity.

Havant and Waterlooville began to take a hold of the game thanks to silly fouls given away by the hosts, one free-kick bringing a good chance when it was headed into the path of Alfie Rutherford, whose goalbound blast was blocked by two blue shirts.

The industry of Lee Shaw created a couple of half chances for Town before the half hour mark as they sought to wrestle back the momentum, the little striker driving low at goal from distance, Ben Dudzinski gathering comfortably.

A minute later, Kyel Reid, whose contribution for the first 30 minutes was a source of frustration in the stands, sent a wicked shot past the post.

The rest of the half was entirely forgettable, neither side playing anything like fluent football.

Misplaced passes and poor first touches were the order of the day, making it a difficult game to watch.

Pavey summed up the first 45 minutes when, thanks to a Haydn Hollis slip, he went clean through, but lost control, simply passing it straight back to a relieved Burton.

There was more relief for the keeper early in the second half, an Alex Bradley shot taking a nick off a defender and looping over Burton but also his crossbar.

At the other end, Chesterfield came agonisingly close to the lead, Reid's cross from the corner flag finding Weston six yards out, his header somehow kept out by a brilliant Dudzinski save.

Allen wasted no time in making his second half changes, replacing both Fortune and Reid on 53 minutes with Tom Denton and Levi Amantchi.

Seconds after the swap, Town were denied by Dudzinski again when he kept out Hollis' low shot following a corner.

A nice bit of football involving Denton, Smith and Weston freed Amantchi, but as the teen shaped to shoot a defender slid in to block the effort.

Chances continued to come and go for the hosts, Maguire heading wide from a Rowley free-kick before Denton appeared to be shoved in the back inside the box, referee Paul Howard unmoved.

As the minutes ticked away Denton saw a header deflected wide and then a pair of efforts blocked, Havant and Waterlooville defending for their lives.

The introduction of Sam Muggleton gave Town the chance to attack from long throws and one almost did the trick, Denton nodding down, Dudzinski clawing the ball out at his far post.

In time added on the Hawks lived a charmed life, Shaw's piledriver palmed onto the crossbar before Evans brought yet another stop from Dudzinski at his near post.

Chesterfield: Burton, Evans, Binnom-Williams, Hollis, Maguire, Rowley, Weston, Smith, Reid (Amantchi 53), Fortune (Denton 53), Shaw. Not used: Anyon, Kiwomya, Muggleton.

Havant: Dudzinski, Strugnell, Williams, Robinson, Cordner, Stock, Robinson, Bradley (Leeflang 64), Tarbuck (Woodford 89), Pavey, Rutherford (Kabamba 85). Not used: Cosgrave, Huggins.

Yellows: Rowley 33, Smith 51; Leeflang 90

Referee: Paul Howard. Assistants: Oliver Mackey, Stuart Richardson.

Attendance: 4,082 (79 away)