College pays tribute to ‘kind, loyal and committed’ lecturer who died after being hit by train at Dronfield station

Tributes have been paid to a college lecturer who tragically died when he was hit by a train at Dronfield station.

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Chesterfield College lecturer Richard Wilson, 48, died on Friday morning.

Julie Richards, principal and chief executive of Chesterfield College, has now paid tribute to Mr Wilson and said that he would be ‘greatly missed’.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Chesterfield College.Chesterfield College.
Chesterfield College.

She said: “Our thoughts are with Richie’s family and friends at this very sad time.

“He worked at the college for many years supporting students to develop their knowledge and skills in public services.

“More recently he worked as a Workskills Tutor where he had a significant impact on supporting students to build their confidence and return to work, securing employment opportunities for hundreds of local residents.

“His kindness, loyalty and commitment were incredible and he will be greatly missed by everyone at Chesterfield College.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Many tributes have also been paid to Mr Wilson on our Facebook page.

One reader said in a tribute: “RIP Richie. What an amazing guy. It was a pleasure to know you.”

Another described him as ‘the best lecturer ever’.

“He’ll be missed by many,” another reader added.

An inquest into Mr Wilson’s death was opened at Chesterfield Coroner’s Court on Tuesday.

Peter Nieto, area coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, told the hearing the train was travelling in the direction of Sheffield at approximately 80mph at around 10.25am on February 19 when it struck Mr Wilson, of Cemetery Road, Dronfield.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Emergency services attended the scene and he was sadly pronounced dead shortly after 10.45am.

Mr Nieto said Mr Wilson had visited his doctor in January and the court had requested further information from the GP.

He added: “His death is not being treated as suspicious.

“The court is awaiting a file from British Transport Police and a full post-mortem report.”

Mr Nieto adjourned the inquest to April 20 and offered his condolences to Mr Wilson’s loved ones.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

When life is difficult, Samaritans are here – day or night, 365 days a year. You can call them for free on 116 123, email [email protected] or visit to find your nearest branch.

Editor’s message

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription at or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.