Woking 3 Alfreton Town 0 match report

Alfreton Town had a sorry time in Surrey on Saturday, when they succumbed sedately to a Woking side on the verge of the play-offs.

Monday, 2nd February 2015, 8:50 am
Alfreton's Andi Thanoj -Pic by: Richard Parkes

Although results elsewhere went generally in Alfreton’s favour there was little to enthuse over for the travelling support, and in fact just two shots - from Lathaniel Rowe-Turner and Dan Bradley - tested home keeper Jake Cole throughout the 90 minutes.

An unchanged side from that vital win at Welling a fortnight earlier could not have produced a more differing performance as the Reds conceded their fifth double of the season.

Early trading suggested that Alfreton might have more to offer than materialised, a couple of penetrating runs by John Johnston producing a corner then a shot off target.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However Woking went close through Joey Jones after ten minutes, then Charles Banya fired wide from a good position after Josh Payne had latched on to a poor pass from Anthony Howell.

Woking took an 18th minute lead after Lee Stevenson had impeded Ross Lafayette, and Scott Rendell duly despatched the ensuing penalty with aplomb to give Reds’ keeper Jason Mooney little chance.

A withering run by Johnston broke down when Karl Hawley strayed off-side in the 25th minute, then eight minutes later Luke Graham had to hook the ball behind as Banya almost picked out Lafayette.

Another Johnston run ended with a wayward shot, then Mooney fumbled a high cross from Payne with Howell coming to the rescue before the keeper smothered the ball.

Three minutes before the break Mooney saved well from Lafayette, then the keeper parried from Payne before Rendell blasted over, whilst in a hectic finish to the first half Stevenson fired into the side-netting after reaching the by-line and Rowe-Turner almost found a way through with a run into unfamiliar territory.

In fact it was the left-back that went closest to scoring for the visitors, his effort from 25 yards three minutes after the interval causing Cole to stretch and tip over.

Another good run from Johnston led to Hawley firing over from 18 yards, but Woking had doubled their advantage by the 58th minute when Lafayette followed up after Mooney had blocked his initial shot and was able to walk the ball in after a deft header.

Howell’s cross drifted on to the roof of the net, but the hosts led 3-0 by the 63rd minute when Banya latched on to Lafayette’s pass to steer the ball low past Mooney from eight yards.

Bradley’s strong run ended with Cole clutching his angled drive at the near post, then three minutes from time an audacious attempt by Payne to chip Mooney from all of 45 yards had not taken into account the keeper’s height, with barely a stretch of his heel needed to tip the ball over.

Graham needed to head behind as Guiseppe Sole’s cross sought to reach Banya, then right at the end of added time Mooney stuck out a leg to foil Sole after Kevin Betsy and Banya had combined to set up the chance.

Alfreton: Mooney; Wood, Howe, Graham, Rowe-Turner, Johnston, Thanoj, Shaw (Heaton 77), Stevenson (Bradley 66), Howell, Hawley (Leesley 66). Subs not used: Keane, Willis.

Attendance: 1,526.