Poison warning as 'beloved' pet dog dies after finding cannabis wraps at Derbyshire beauty spot

A Derbyshire dog owner has issued a warning after his ‘beloved’ Labrador had to be put down when she ingested cannabis wraps at a beauty spot.

Tuesday, 30th March 2021, 1:46 pm
Updated Wednesday, 31st March 2021, 8:10 am

Dave Lewis’ 12-year-old chocolate Labrador Ruby became ill and suffered a ‘serious fit’ the evening after a walk near Wirksworth last Tuesday (March 23).

Her condition deteriorated and sadly Ruby had to be put down this morning.

Dave and his wife Jan contacted the owners of the beauty spot – which the couple have asked us not to name – who were horrified to find cannabis wraps at the exact location where Ruby had been playing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dave, of Ambergate, said: “Jan recalled Ruby emerging from a hidden away area at this location, having scavenged something.

“Next day we took Ruby to our vets, Riverside in Belper.

"They examined and took blood samples to check organ function but the results came back fine.

Labrador Ruby had to be put to sleep after the incident.

“We also contacted the proprietor at the beauty spot location who later discovered what appeared to be cannabis wraps in the exact location where Ruby had scavenged.”

Ruby suffered two further fitting episodes, lost some of her vision and balance, and ‘panted almost nonstop’.

“Overnight her condition deteriorated so we took her back to the vet and the decision was taken to put her to sleep,” Dave added.

'Beloved' pet Labrador Ruby had to be put down after consuming cannabis wraps at a Derbyshire beauty spot.

“The beauty spot location near Wirksworth is like many others in our area, rather remote and allows easy access to anyone who wants to visit and for whatever reason.

"Unfortunately for Ruby she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“Her plight should act as a warning to all dog owners to be on their guard at all times as these toxic hazards could be anywhere.

"As the proprietor of the beauty spot was horrified to hear about our situation, I'd prefer to keep the location a secret.

"Ruby's vet is Riverside practice in Belper and they did a really good job, in particular Donna who carried out the euthanasia.”

Experts say ingesting cannabis is highly dangerous for dogs and cats.

Dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brain and throughout their body – meaning they can be overwhelmed by THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana.

A message from Phil Bramley, Derbyshire Times Editor

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper.