“Belligerent” Chesterfield drunkard was strapped to hospital bed by police

A “belligerent” diabetic Chesterfield man had to be handcuffed and strapped to a bed at Chesterfield Royal Hospital after turning up drunk and in need of medication.

By Ben McVay
Tuesday, 18th January 2022, 12:58 pm

Dean Meyrick, 50, had been “drowning his sorrows” at home on New Year’s Day following a Christmas break-up with his partner - when he became “extremely unwell”.

Chesterfield Magistrates Court heard Meyrick - who had no medication in the house - took a taxi to the hospital.

However an argument broke out there between the defendant and his driver upon his arrival - which was when police stepped in.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Dean Meyrick, 50, had been “drowning his sorrows” at home on New Year’s Day when he turned up at hospital

Prosecutor Kathryn Wilson told the court: “There was a disagreement over the price of the taxi fare and Mr Meyrick was spoken to by police. He was shouting and being belligerent.”As the incident escalated in A&E Meyrick “lunged” toward a officer and as he was restrained on a bed, kicked two contables in the leg.

During a police interview the defendant said he had no intention of harming officers but he “does not like to be touched”.

Read More

Read More
Chesterfield man attacked “petrified” female delivery driver, court hears

Meyrick’s solicitor Steve Brint told the court: “He accepts he was drunk and abusive.

“All he wanted was his medication and to go - police officers had him in handcuffs which put him in severe pain.”

Meyrick, of Holme Hall Crescent, Holme Hall, admitted being drunk and disorderly in a public place and two counts of common assault against an emergency worker.

District Judge Jonathan Taaffe told him: “I accept you have a number of medical conditions. “But the reality is you got off your head on vodka while sat at home and decided because you felt unwell you would go to hospital - then you kicked off.

“Our medical professionals have put their lives on the line during the last 18 months or so during a pandemic.

“At any time to go to a hospital in that state and demand treatment is unacceptable - to do it during the course of a national health emergency is unforgivable.”

Meyrick was jailed for 16 weeks suspended for 12 months, handed an eight-week curfew, ordered to pay £50 compensation to each of the officers, £85 court costs and a £128 victim surcharge.

A message from Phil Bramley, Derbyshire Times Editor: Support your Derbyshire Times by becoming a digital subscriber. You will see 70 per cent fewer ads on stories, meaning faster load times and an overall enhanced user experience. Click here to subscribe