Chesterfield homes evacuated over explosion fears
A number of homes were evacuated in a Chesterfield street over fears of a gas explosion last night.
Residents were asked to leave their homes in Hawksley Avenue as a precaution after a blaze broke out in a garage at around 8.45pm yesterday.
The garage contained a number of gas cylinders, which could have exploded.
Residents have since been allowed back home and an investigation into the incident is to be carried out between Derbyshire Constabulary and Derbyshire Fire and Rescue.
Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service said: “All four cylinders have now been located and cooled down by firefighters so they no longer present a risk.
“Local residents are being allowed back into their homes.
“A joint fire investigation is under way.”
Posting on Facebook, Derbyshire resident Kim Shaw said: “Better to be safe than sorry, flames and smoke were sky high, well done to the emergency services.”