Wrexham boss Dean Keates questions whether two of Chesterfield's goals should have counted - and says they deserved at least a draw

Wrexham boss Dean Keates had doubts over whether Chesterfield’s stoppage-time winner crossed the line and claimed Tom Denton’s goal was offside.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Denton equalised midway through the first-half after an own goal by captain Will Evans had put Wrexham in front four minutes earlier.

The visitors took the lead again after the break through Jordan Ponticelli but substitute Liam Mandeville stabbed home another leveller soon after.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With just seconds remaining Weston struck a superb half-volley to spark wild celebrations among the Spireites players and fans.

There was a pause as the officials deliberated whether the ball had crossed the line but Blues caretaker John Pemberton said he had watched it back and that it definitely went in.

The win means Chesterfield are just two points behind Wrexham.

“We took the lead twice away from home you have to see it through,” Keates said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Questionable, is the last one over the line? A few of the lads are saying it is not.

Wrexham boss Dean Keates.Wrexham boss Dean Keates.
Wrexham boss Dean Keates.

“The first one – I have seen it back – Denton is offside.

“Fo long periods of the games we looked strong and organised and dealt with everything – the long balls that they offer.

“We were more than well worthy of a point.

“We’d have been disappointed not to take three points but we have come away with nothing.”

Wrexham defender Shaun Pearson was substituted on 73 minutes and Keates appeared to suggest it was a result of a challenge from Town striker Mike Fondop.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “Fondop’s gone through on the far side right in front of the linesman. They end up getting a corner on the back of it and he has stamped on top of his foot. Gradually, gradually it got worse. He got caught on it again so we will see how it goes.”

While Wrexham midfielder, Jay Harris, added: “I am not one to blame the referees but the first goal I think was offside and whether it (Weston’s goal) was over the line I don’t know.”

And Red Dragons striker, Ponticelli, said: “Everybody is a bit disappointed that we did not get the win because that is what we deserved.”