Weymouth boss Brian Stock gives honest assessment on key decision in second-half against Chesterfield

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Weymouth manager Brian Stock was honest enough to admit that the officials made the right call when they ruled that Pierre Fonkeu’s header had not crossed the line against Chesterfield.

With the Spireites one goal in front, Fonkeu rose highest from Sean Shields’ corner in the second-half and rattled a header against the underside of the crossbar which bounced down close to the line. Terras players appealed that it had gone in but referee Aaron Jackson did not give it.

Stock said on first viewing he thought it was a goal but after watching it back he thinks the officials got it correct.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “From where I was standing I thought it was over the line, however, I am in no position to give that sort of judgement given the referee and linesman were positioned very well.

Weymouth could not find a way through Chesterfield.Weymouth could not find a way through Chesterfield.
Weymouth could not find a way through Chesterfield.

“I have watched it back, because it happened so quickly it is hard to tell, but I think they have probably made the right decision. I don’t think it has clearly gone over the line. If it had gone over the line, and it was allowed, it would have definitely changed the game.”

On the performance overall, Stock was left disappointed with how little they tested Town goalkeeper Grant Smith.

“I thought we started the game very slowly, all credit to Chesterfield they came out of the blocks all guns blazing,” he said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“They pressed with intent, they moved with real purpose, I felt we struggled to deal with that, especially early on in the game.

“To concede a set-piece five minutes before half-time was disappointing.

“I felt second-half we came out a different side with a lot more intent, a lot more purpose in our play.

“We have gone from Ethan (Ross) making a couple of great saves in the first-half to keep us in the game to hardly having to make a save in the second-half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“So although we did not necessarily affect their goalkeeper as much as I would have liked, I felt the second-half performance was much better.”

He added: “To come to Chesterfield - one of the biggest clubs in the league - huge budget, big stadium, full-time club, and to go close to getting a result really goes to show how far this group of players and club has come.”

Related topics: