REPORT: Barnet 3-0 Chesterfield

Chesterfield's stay in the Football League ended on a bum note as goals from John Akinde, Alex Nicholls and Richard Brindley condemned to them to a 3-0 loss at similarly relegated Barnet.

Saturday, 5th May 2018, 6:14 pm
Updated Saturday, 5th May 2018, 6:26 pm
Jacob Brown in action at Barnet.

Jacob Brown had a goal disallowed for offside on a disappointing afternoon for the Spireites, with the Bees joining them in the National League next term thanks to Morecambe’s draw with Coventry.

Caretaker boss Ian Evatt made five changes from the side that beat Newport in midweek, with Joe Anyon, Alex Whitmore, Robbie Weir, Jacob Brown and Jordan Sinnot all starting.

Neither team could establish dominance early on as Kristian Dennis saw an effort saved by Barnet keeper Craig Ross.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Yet the game sparked into life on 20 minutes when John Akinde broke through and saw his effort stopped by Anyon, with Shaqulle Coulthirst’s scuffed follow-up hacked off the line by Jerome Binnom-Williams before Curtis Weston dragged his shot agonisingly wide.

Brown then tried to lob Ross but his shot landed on the roof of the net.

The visitors escaped when Coulthirst sprinted clear and laid it off for Weston, whose drive was deflected wide.

Brown tapped in Barry’s pass on the half hour – but the winger’s celebrations were cut short by the offside flag.

Anyon pulled off another remarkable save, springing to his right to keep out Ricardo Santos’ goalbound header from Brindley’s corner and the Chesterfield keeper was helpless when Weston crashed a shot against the bar.

Chesterfield were finally breached when Akinde rose highest to head Weston’s cross into the bottom corner to put Barnet 1-0 up.

Dan Sweeney almost doubled the lead early in the second half but sent his header the wrong side of the post before Michael Nelson fired over from five yards.

Despite being behind, Chesterfield struggled to mount any sort of comeback – Akinde twice came close, planting one header wide and another high.

Substitute Giles Coke lashed over a half-chance for the visitors in a subdued second-half display.

Brindley’s low strike crept in at the near post for his first of the season,before Nicholls wrapped up the scoring with a stunning volley from just outside the box.

Barnet: Ross 6, Brindley 7, Nelson 6 (Watson 89 N/A), Santos 7, Tutonda 7, Akpa Akpro 7, Sweeney 7, Weston 8, Nicholls 7 (Shomotun 90, N/A), Akinde 8, Coulthirst 8 (Taylor 86, N/A)

Subs not used: Legg, Clough, Bover, Payne

Chesterfield: Anyon 8, Talbot 6 (Rawson 81 6), Maguire 6, Whitmore 6, Binnom-Williams 7, Barry 6, Weir 6, Sinnot 6 (Coke 55, 6), Brown 7, Dodds 6 (Rowley 60, 6), Dennis 6

Subs not used: Parkin, Reed, Holmes, Smith

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 5,539