Poor Bulwell run continues after Clay Cross Town defeat

Clay Cross Town impressed during a 3-1 defeat of Bulwell.
Gladiators have added two players ahead of Saturday.Gladiators have added two players ahead of Saturday.
Gladiators have added two players ahead of Saturday.

Bulwell went ahead through Ross McCaughey on seven minutes before Clay Cross levelled through Danny Fulwood.

Chris Sharman put the visitors ahead on 59 minutes before Ryan Walters wrapped the points up on 79 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The outcome of Saturday’s fixture was a disappointing loss for the Bulls, which now sees Bulwell FC drop into the unfamiliar realms of the bottom 7 of the CML South League Table.

Statistically this is now the local’s worst start to a CML campaign since joining the league in 2013.

Bulwell will now have a little time to reflect as the next league fixture is not until Saturday 19th September when they travel to Eastwood Community FC.

Bulls had to face Clay Cross missing team manager George Hulley, who was away on holiday, leaving sole responsibility to Ian Lowe for this fixture.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Captain and defensive regular Dwayne Soar was also absent due to other commitments.

The visitors looked a different team from the side which kicked off this current league campaign and has at least five new starters, acquired from recently from Staveley MW.

The new look Cross looked a very physical team and had a big back-line. In fact some of the Bull’s youngsters would find this a problem as the game went on as they were muscled off the ball on quite a few occasions.

The first chance of note fell to Clay Cross in the first minute breaking quickly and catching the Bulls ball-watching, but the end result was a shot over the bar from George Johnson.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side responded quickly and Conor Carter came close, heading over the bar on three minutes.

Only seven minutes in the Bulls would take the lead. A fine passage of play saw Liam Towle take the ball to the flank before cutting back and playing an inch perfect pass back to Ross McCaughey, who ran on to pull the trigger and fire in a 25 yard scorcher.

Clay Cross upped the tempo, looking more and more likely to score and were finally rewarded in the 25th minute when after a good spell of passing play saw Danny Fullwood firing home from the edge of the box to tie the game.

The game now was end to end and a good spectacle for the neutral with both teams having chances to go ahead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Firstly Clay Cross captain Richie Matthews saw his header tipped over the bar after a fine save from Matthew Simpson in the Bulls goal.

Another Ross McCaughey long distance shot followed on the half hour but this was nothing like his first effort and this time was high and wide.

Cross struck back quickly and McCaughey was involved once again, this time with a last gasp clearance which halted a fast counter attack.

Just before the break a guilt edge chance was presented to the homesters.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Firstly a fine Conor Carter shot was well saved after solo run into the Cross penalty box, the rebound falling to the feet of Liam Towle who smashed in a thunderbolt but was denied by the inside of the visitors’ goalpost.

Straight after the restart Bulls front man Carter was in the mix again running the ball to the visitors bye-line before cutting a pass back across the face of goal which was intended for Will Gordon who was standing unmarked in acres of space.

Unfortunately the ball was played too close to the visitors’ keeper who scooped up the gift and another Bulls chance went begging.

That opening chance proved to be the last Bulls scoring opportunity for a long period of the second half as Clay Cross looked after the ball much better and started to boss the possession.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 59 minutes the visitors took the lead through Chris Sharman’s free-kick.

Danny Fullman should have scored for Town on 65 minutes but the advancing Simpson in the Bulls goal distracted the player enough to make him shoot wide from close range.

But Clay Cross Town found the vital third on 79 minutes when Ryan Walters found himself unmarked in the Bulls box and finished well from 10 yards out.

Related topics: