Fans chant for Chesterfield manager's removal during yet another Proact stalemate

A last minute Zavon Hines penalty saved Chesterfield from what would have been a devastating defeat at home to Bromley.

Tuesday, 27th November 2018, 8:43 pm
Updated Tuesday, 27th November 2018, 9:50 pm
Martin Allen came under fire from his own supporters during the draw

The striker's 90th minute spot-kick secured a 1-1 draw, Town's ninth successive stalemate, after a second half siege.But it also meant they've now gone 19 league games without a win and the pressure on boss Martin Allen is ever increasing.Supporters chanted for his removal during the game, which Bromley led from the 36th minute.There was a last minute change to the Town line-up, Jerome Binnom-Williams taking ill before the game, meaning Sam Muggleton came in to play left-back.Bromley looked to get the ball wide quickly in the first couple of minutes, before the hosts began to assert themselves. Chesterfield temporarily went down to 10 men after nine minutes, striker Tom Denton going off to be stitched up after a clash of heads, returning to the game six minutes later.Seconds after Town returned to full strength, they should have fallen behind.Giving the ball away sloppily in the midfield allowed Bromley to attack down the left before a cross found George Porter unmarked in the box and he somehow headed wide.The Spireites fashioned a chance of their own, Jonathan Smith scooping a delightful ball into Jordan Hallam, who controlled, spun and opted to pass to Hines, whose path to goal was blocked, when a shot might have been a better option.Smith went for the spectacular on 25 minutes and very and nearly pulled it off, his 35-yarder threatening to dip under the bar but just clearing it.Against the run of play, Bromley went ahead.A free-kick on halfway was pumped into the Town box where the visitors won the first header, allowing Porter to nod downwards and past Callum Burton.Town settled again after conceding but things could have got worse in the final seconds of the half when they fell asleep, Bromley took a quick throw in and Jack Holland headed a cross goalward, Burton saving this one.Chesterfield made a double change at the break, Levi Amantchi and Lee Shaw replacing Denton and Curtis Weston, and were on the front foot from the off.Hines saw a shot deflect up off a defender and over the bar, but aside from that, Chesterfield had real trouble breaking down a compact and stubborn defence.The home side dominated possession and territory but ran out of ideas the nearer they got to the away goal.Frustration in the stands began to boil over, chants of 'Mad Dog out' greeting a shambles of a free-kick on the edge of the box that the hosts contrived to waste.Boos began to greet each of Sam Muggleton's long throws, Town fans voicing their disapproval of their side's tactics, before Allen withdrew the left-back and put on Kyel Reid.Reid was straight into the action, firing in a shot that Gregory held comfortably, Shaw saw a shot deflected over the top and Hines had one parried away by the keeper.The breakthrough finally came in the final minute, a cross headed back into the middle by Maguire, a Bromley hand striking it and giving the hosts a penalty.Hines took it, sent it down the middle and levelled the game as it headed into four minites of time added on.There was a chance to win it when Reid dug out a cross from the left and Hines rose six yards out to connect, only to send it over the top.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chesterfield: Burton, Barry, Muggleton (Reid 79), Hollis, Maguire, Smith, Weston (Shaw 46), Rowley, Hines, Hallam, Denton (Amantchi 46). Subs: Nelson, Anyon.Bromley: Gregory, Brindley, Wood, Johnson (Dunne 82), Holland, Okoye, Sutherland, Higgs (Goddard 71), Goodman (Ogedi-Uzokwe 60), Porter, Barham. Subs: Mekki, Quigley.Goalscorers: Hines 90; Porter 36Yellows: Rowley 65; Johnson 34, Wood 63, Sutherland 67Referee: Simon Mather. Assistants: Dale Baines, Steven Lennon.Attendance: 3,729 (85 away)