Millwall 0 Chesterfield 0: Gutsy Spireites prove a point in the capital

Sam Hird keeps close tabs on Millwall's Fred Onyedinma (Howard Roe/
Sam Hird keeps close tabs on Millwall's Fred Onyedinma (Howard Roe/

Gutsy Chesterfield escaped Millwall with a much needed point tonight.

The resolute Spireites showed terrific determination as they failed to be preyed on by the in-form Lions. One point is better than none, and the resolute performance showed Gary Caldwell’s men are still up for the fight.

Kristian Dennis can't quite latch on to a throughball (Howard Roe/')

Kristian Dennis can't quite latch on to a throughball (Howard Roe/')

However, they need to start picking up wins and fast with six points standing between them and safety.

Caldwell was without four of his key players for the trip to the capital. Welsh striker Ched Evans and Jon Nolan had both failed to recover from their respective niggles in time, whilst Dion Donohue is also on the injury list.

Tom Anderson served the first match of his suspension, after his straight red at the weekend - although the Spireites have appealed the decision.

The hosts got to grips with the windy conditions down south quickest as they won a flurry of corners.

Spireites fans at Millwall (Howard Roe/')

Spireites fans at Millwall (Howard Roe/')

And in the sixth minute Daniel Jones put his body on the line to deny David Worrall after waltzed into the penalty area. Lee Gregory then blasted way over the visitors’ bar before the Spireites came agonisingly close to grabbing an opener against the run of play.

Reece Mitchell marched his way down the left-hand side and pulled the ball back to Liam Grimshaw, who saw his effort scrambled away from danger in the six-yard box.

The struggling Spireites started to pile some pressure on as Angel had a ferocious strike blocked, before Sam Hird headed wide.

Thorsten Stuckmann pulled off a stunning save to deny Gregory a 12th goal of the season as he tipped his goal-bound header over.

After keeping the roaring Lions at bay before the interval, the Spireites came out with renewed vigour in the second period.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake’s rebounded effort from Reece Mitchell’s initial strike his a hosts’ defender and despite frantic calls for a penalty, referee Lee Collins waved play on.

The Spireites turned defence into attack in a matter of seconds as blocks from Hird and Ian Evatt, turned into Ebanks-Blake being played away - only for the forward to overhit his cross.

Both sides pushed for the three points late on.

Stuckmann thwarted Fred Onyedinma, before the visitors countered to no avail once again.

Late on prolific frontman Gregory should have grabbed the points for the hosts when he shot wide with only Stuckmann to beat.

Millwall: King, Romeo, Hutchinson, Webster, Craig, Worrall (Ferguson, 63), Williams, Thompson (Butcher, 79), Onyedinma, O’Brien (Smith, 79), Gregory.

Unused subs: Cummings, Martin, Abdou, Girling.

Chesterfield: Stuckmann, Evatt, Hird, Jones, Mitchell (Beesley, 90), Gardner (Dimaio, 85), Grimshaw, Martinez, Ebanks-Blake (Simons, 75), Faupala, Dennis.

Unused subs: Allinson, Kakay, Humphreys, Brown.

Referee: Lee Collins (Surrey)

Attendance: Not announced