Chesterfield season ticket holder has three-year ban overturned after winning appeal

A Chesterfield season ticket holder who was handed a three-year ban after a Twitter row with Spireites defender Anthony Gerrard has won an appeal against the decision.

Thursday, 26th September 2019, 3:03 pm
Proact Stadium, home of Chesterfield FC.

When announcing the ban, Chesterfield chief executive, Graham Bean, said they felt it was necessary to ban Mr Singlehurst because he turned up at the stadium with what they believed was the intention to 'confront' Gerrard after the pair arranged to meet during the exchange of messages on Twitter. The incident did not go any further.

As a result of the row, Gerrard, 33, who signed for Town in the summer, was stripped of the captain's armband, received a hefty fine and apologised.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The club has today said that following an appeal process, the ban has been overturned with immediate effect.

Mr Singlehurst said: “I am delighted that my ban has been overturned so that I can continue attending matches at the Proact. I follow the team home and away and have had a season ticket for over ten years.

“I sent a letter to the club after learning of the ban imposed, acknowledging that my conduct had been poor and apologising for my actions.

“This incident has taught me a lesson regarding the use of social media and I would urge others to consider their actions carefully before posting anything online.

“I would like to thank the club officials involved in the appeal process for the way they have handled the matter.”

In a further comment to the Derbyshire Times, Mr Singlehurst said that it was a 'pleasure' to deal with Chesterfield company secretary, Ashley Carson, and director John Croot.

He added: "As a club we need to focus on moving forward and getting us to where we belong, so let’s get down to the Proact, get behind John Sheridan and the lads and get that much needed win on Saturday."

While Mr Carson said: "The fan showed a lot of remorse and his appeal was a very fair letter.

"The chief executive followed the banning policy put in place by the board initially.

"We have no wishes to fight with the fans and this was a sensible outcome."