Chesterfield come from goal down to beat 10-man Dagenham and Redbridge - how the action unfolded

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Chesterfield came from a goal down to beat 10-man Dagenham and Redbridge 3-1.

The visitors, who had won three on the bounce, took the lead on 39 minutes through Josh Rees.

But they were reduced to 10-men with 20 minutes remaining when Harry Phipps hauled down Will Grigg, who would have been through on goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

That proved to be a big turning point as Ryan Colclough curled in from the resulting free-kick and then Grigg converted from the spot on 90 minutes after lively substitute James Berry was brought down.

Chesterfield beat Dagenham & Redbridge 3-1. Picture: Tina Jenner.Chesterfield beat Dagenham & Redbridge 3-1. Picture: Tina Jenner.
Chesterfield beat Dagenham & Redbridge 3-1. Picture: Tina Jenner.

Fellow substitute Ollie Banks drilled in a third deep into seven minutes of added-on time to secure a third successive win.

The Spireites’ wait for a first clean sheet of the season goes on, but they once again came from behind to win, as well as scoring another two late goals, something they have done several times already this campaign.

The kings of comebacks and late goals did it again.

Chesterfield, playing a back three when in possession, started on the front-foot and only a superb last-ditch block from Phipps, after some slick build-up play, denied Armando Dobra from putting the hosts ahead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Blues had played the better football but it was the Daggers who had the best chances as the half went on. The first opportunity came when Ryan Hill pounced on a mistake by Tyrone Williams but Harry Tyrer came to his rescue with a top save down to his left.

Due to the hot weather, a drinks break took place midway through the half and the Spireites were a bit flat after that.

The away side had a second big chance when a loose pass from Tyrer allowed Hill to cut the ball back for Rees but he could not connect with the goal gaping.

Tyrer had another nervy moment when he miss-kicked a clearance but luckily Charley Kendall slipped before he could take aim from distance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But not long after Tyrer was punished when he opted to punch, rather than catch, a free-kick delivery and Hill recycled the ball back into the box for Rees to finish.

As the game reached the hour-mark, Chesterfield were camped inside the Daggers half but were struggling to create anything of note.

Just after 60 minutes, Dagenham should have had a second goal after they broke away on the counter but Hill’s attempt to square for Kendall was off the mark.

With 20 minutes remaining, Dagenham were reduced to 10-men when Phipps was shown a straight red card for dragging down Grigg. But justice was done fro m the resulting free-kick as Colclough brilliantly curled home from the edge of the box to make it 1-1 on 72 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

All the momentum was now with Chesterfield and as the 90th minute approached, the bright Berry ran at the Daggers defence and won a penalty, which Grigg tucked away, before fellow sub Banks drilled in from distance to add a third.

Chesterfield: Tyrer; Mandeville, Williams (Quigley, 84), Grimes, Freckleton; Jones, Naylor; Dobra (Quigley, 89), Jacobs (Berry, 67), Colclough; Grigg.