Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard admits he asked goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore to 'feign injury' in Chesterfield match

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard admitted he asked goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore to ‘feign injury’ because Chesterfield were dominating the game.

Ashmore stayed down for at least two minutes midway through the first half as home boss Garrard got some instructions to his players so they could reorganise.

And the move worked as Spireites manager James Rowe said the stoppage, along with the hamstring injury to Joe Rowley which forced him off, stopped his team’s momentum.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I think that is a point gained after the first 55-60 minutes,” Garrard said.

Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard.Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard.
Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard.

“We were not at the races in the first 45-50 minutes and I have to give credit to James Rowe and his Chesterfield side, they played a great little shape with Rowley playing just off the striker and we could not get it organised.

“I had to ask Ashmore to go down to feign an injury to ensure we can get some information into the group. After that I felt there was a slight sea-change and I felt the game swayed slightly more in our favour in the first half and then Rowley came off the pitch and (Liam) Mandeville did not get to grips with their game plan as quickly as James Rowe wanted to.

“We spoke about it half-time and I felt we were going to come out and have a reaction but until we made the two subs I felt that Chesterfield were still right on top.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“They are a team that are on form, we are a team that are on form, I felt that they edged it for two-thirds of the game and I felt we came out for the last 30 minutes. Faiir reflection? Possibly.

“I don’t think we worked their goalkeeper. For all of Chesterfield’s good work, I don’t think Ashmore was worked.”

Junior Morias had the ball in the net for the hosts with 18 minutes to go but he was ruled offside, a decision Garrard believes was wrong.

He added: “We put the ball in the back of the net with Junior Morias, I have been told on two occasions that it was onside.

“I think the last half hour we were very productive, I think the change of personnel aided that.”