Archer hits the target again but Baileans draw

Matlock Baileans’ first team earned a 1-1 draw at home to North Staffs on Saturday.

Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 2:16 pm

Matlock were fired up for a tough game in which they needed to take three points.

The home side started well with positive play up the left hand side from Joanne Carson and Irenka Kleckova, feeding the ball well to Sarah Archer who worked tirelessly up front.

Baileans’ hard work paid off after a series of sharp passes from Leyanne Beacham fed Archer who slotted the ball home.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

North Staffs continued to press and despite some excellent tackles from Rachel Moor and strong saves from Alison Millyard the visitors eventually managed to equalise, and despite some good late pressure Matlock couldn’t quite earn the victory.

Man of the match was Gemma Phipps.

Matlock host a tough fixture against Beeston this weekend.

Matlock’s second team fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Derby Asterdale firsts.

From the whistle Matlock created chances with some great midfield play from Leyanne Beacham and Beth Donnelly.

However Asterdale created a strong press which challenged the Baileans defence as they slipped in the winning goal.

This did not unsettle Matlock who continued to battle through with Nina Smedley and Hannah Tassel coming close to goal but not close enough.

Matlock showed great heart and determination during the game but could not secure the points.

Matlock fifths were beaten 2-0 atStaveley.

Matlock were down to a bare 11 players but still put up a valiant display.

Stavely scored both of their goals in the first-half but Matlock were unlucky not to register themselves with Helen Greer, Anna Boylan, Evie Donnelly and plyaer of the match Elise Charlton all a threat throughout.

The second-half saw Greer work well with Cerys Heap and Sally Bradbury and the Staveley keeper had to make several saves, but ultimately Baileans couldn’t break through.

Meanwhile, Matlock Hockey Club hosted the first round of the northern section of the U14 Hockey Cup on Sunday at Wirksworth.

In their first match Matlock, captained by Issy Copestake, played local rivals Belper in an entertaining game but one which finished goalless, despite good Matlock pressure in the second-half.

In their second game Matlock faced a strong, more experienced team from Deeside Ramblers.

It proved to be a game of two halves with Deeside having most of the play in the first-half, taking the lead when a through ball split the defence. This was quickly followed by a fine individual goal to put Deeside two ahead.

In the second-half Matlock put on sustained pressure and were rewarded by several penalty corners.

Despite their best efforts Matlock were denied by some good saves by the Deeside keeper and despite bowing out of the competition, can be proud of their all-round team performance, the young under age squad showing a high standard of skills and huge potential.