WARNING: Dog dies from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in Ironville

A dog has died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in Derbyshire - sparking a police warning.

Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 9:59 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 5:49 pm
Stock picture.

An Ironville resident had to take her dog to the vet because it had become unwell over the past few days.

The vet told the owner they believe the animal had been poisoned by anti-freeze and it had to be put down.

The resident, who lives in Regent Court, reported the incident to police at the weekend.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

PC Mick Dubajic, of Derbyshire police, said: "We don’t know how the dog may have come into contact with the chemical which is believed to have poisoned it and caused it to sadly lose its life.

"This is obviously very distressing for the family and, while it is the only report we have received at present, we wanted to make local pet owners aware. We would also appeal to anyone in the area who may have any information to contact us."

Anyone who can help with the police investigation should call officers on 101.