Derbyshire council reveals it has ‘robust’ plans in place should Government impose ‘firebreak’ lockdown
Derbyshire council has revealed it is prepared should the Government decide to impose a ‘firebreak’ lockdown.
Earlier this week, Downing Street denied plans for an October ‘firebreak’ lockdown after a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) touted the idea and claimed that the school half-term holidays could be doubled.
Boris Johnson’s official spokesperson said the reports were “not true” but admitted that further restrictions – such as a two-week circuit breaker – remained an option if the NHS were to be overwhelmed.
"It is not true that the Government is planning a lockdown or firebreak around the October half-term,” the PM’s spokesperson said.
“We have retained contingency plans as part of responsible planning for a range of scenarios, but these kind of measures would only be reintroduced as a last resort to prevent unsustainable pressure on our NHS.”
As deaths within 28 days of a positive test reaching 209 – their highest level since March 1 – and 37,489 positive cases on Tuesday, scientists warned that restrictions, such as limits on gatherings and compulsory indoor masking, could again be necessary in the coming months.
Derbyshire County Council said it was “not aware” of any plans for a ‘firebreak’ lockdown next month, but that it had “robust” plans in place should one be imposed in the future.
A spokesperson for the authority said: “We are not aware of any plans, but as the body responsible for public health in Derbyshire we would support the Government should this be the case and work hard to keep our residents safe and protected, using the robust plans we already have in place.”