Mum of ‘hero’ Chesterfield schoolboy Logan Folger tells of devastation after his tragic death
and live on Freeview channel 276
Fourteen-year-old Logan died at Sheffield Children’s Hospital on Saturday after being rescued from Chesterfield Canal by emergency teams.
The opening of Logan’s inquest heard he was trying to save one of his friends from the water when they got into difficulty in the canal at Staveley on August 18.
Logan’s mum, Stacey Bentley, told The Sun: “The girl, who I know is about the same age as my son, was paddling in the water and it was up to her knees, but suddenly it dropped into open water.
“Logan, who can swim, wasn’t in the water and had been telling them not to go in.
“The girl started struggling and said she couldn’t swim and without thinking he went in to try and save her.”
Logan’s friend was reportedly screaming for help before he raced to the rescue fully clothed.
“She survived but he was caught by the current and disappeared under,” Stacey added.
“One of the boys rang the ambulance to say their friend was in the water.
“The emergency services got there rapidly but the fire officers and divers were struggling to get to him.”
Logan became trapped under the water for nearly half an hour after being dragged underneath by a strong current.
He was later rescued from the canal by emergency crews after they found him unconscious and rushed him to Sheffield Children’s Hospital where he sadly died three days later.
Stacey said: “We are all absolutely devastated.
“I still can’t believe he has gone.
“His friends who were there are traumatised and the girl is heartbroken.”
Stacey has urged people to ‘stay away from the water and keep safe’.
Tributes have since been paid in huge numbers to Logan, with many calling him a ‘hero’ on social media.
Balloons will be released in his memory at at Hollingwood Top Field at 2pm on Friday.
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service group manager Lee Williams said crews were devastated to hear of Logan’s death.
He added: “It’s yet another reminder of how dangerous open water can be due to hidden currents or debris, and the risk of cold-water shock.”