Mince-pie poison warning to dog owners
Dog-lovers are being warned not to feed mince pies to their pooches this Christmas - as the festive treats can prove poisonous to pets.
The warning comes from Hucknall vet Laura Pearce, after she was called in to treat a Staffordshire bull terrier from Sutton who had pinched the tasty treats when his owner wasn’t looking.
11 FOODS YOU SHOULD NEVER FEED YOUR DOG: CLICK HERE
Laura said: “Dog owners should make sure the pets stick to their usual diet over the festive season.
“Don’t feed titbits to animals such as fat from the turkey.
“Things like fruit cakes and mince pies can actually be poisonous to dogs because of the raisins and brandy content.
“Chocolates and other treats can be also be poisonous.”
She issued the warning after a Sutton couple brought in their dog Halo.
Owner Lee Burton left a pack of four pies on a table after a shopping trip while he nipped out again on another errand, but Halo resourcefully got the pies down - an scoffed the lot.
Lee (40) and his partner, Annette Phillips (42), of Sutton, were well aware that such rich food could be harmful to a dog and they rang Buckley House veterinary surgery in Hucknall straight away.
Acting on advice by vet Laura , the couple took Halo there and she was induced to vomit as a precaution.
“She is none the worse for the experience and is her usual frisky self,” said Annette.
Aged two-and-a-half, Halo is a rescue dog and she was formerly housed at Babbington Kennels in Awsworth.
Despite her name, this was far from angelic behaviour on Halo’s part but she has been forgiven and not sent to the doghouse.