Man assaulted in loud music row

A Furness Vale man punched his nextdoor neighbour’s son because he was asked to turn his music down, a court heard.

Thursday, 27th June 2013, 10:00 am

Michael Mather, 55, of Lake View, was sentenced to a community order last Wednesday at High Peak Magistrates’ Court, sitting in Buxton.

He was found guilty of assaulting Richard Brace on March 9th, following a trial last month.

The court heard that Mr Brace and his wife were staying with his mother, who lives nextdoor to Mather.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

John Cooper, prosecuting, said that they could hear loud music coming from the defendant’s house and at 1am, Mr Brace’s mother tried to ring Mather but there was no answer, so Mr Brace decided to go round.

In his statement, he said: “I introduced myself and his response was to swear at me. I asked him to turn the music off and he pushed me and hit me in the face.

“I was not wishing to get into a fight so I ran away. I got back into my mother’s house and locked the door. He chased me, shouting that he was going to kill me and hammering on the door.

“He said he as going to rip my throat out. My mother told him she was ringing the police. He went home and the volume of the music increased and then came back hammering on the door.”

James Riley, defending, said that his client and the victim’s mother Mrs Brace got on well as neighbours.

He said that living in terraced houses, Mather’s music had been an issue before, and Mrs Brace would ring him to ask him to turn it down and he would always oblige.

But, on this occasion, Mather said he did not hear her first call, but when she rang again, he turned his music off.

He said when Mr Brace came to his door to complain he said: “The music’s off, what’s your problem?”

Pam Ashton, chairman of the Bench, sentenced Mather to a community order consisting of a 18-month supervision requirement and an anger management programme and a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting Mr Brace, his mother or his wife.

He was ordered to pay £100 court costs, £200 compensation and a £60 victim surcharge.