House set on fire after yobs push fireworks through letterbox

Mindless yobs who posted fireworks through two letterboxes in Tibshelf set a house on fire and damaged another.

Monday, 6th November 2017, 10:43 am
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 11:36 am
Police said four men and two women had been arrested

Firecrews had to extinguish a blaze at a house on Lincoln Street at 7.45 pm on November 4.

Police had been alerted to a similar incident on Brooke Street earlier at 7.25pm when a living room was damaged.

Sgt David Wilson said: “On this occasion, luckily, no one was injured as a result of this careless behaviour.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Our advice to anyone tonight, bonfire night, is to use fireworks responsibly.

“Preferably attend an organised event where correct risk assessments have been carried out.

“Under no circumstances should anyone throw fireworks, on this occasion a serious house fire was as a result of a firework being lit and posted into a house.

“This could have caused serious injury or even a fatality.

“There are numerous organised events to choose from, please attend one of these and enjoy the evening safely.”

Anyone with information relating to the incidents is asked to contact Chesterfield CID quoting incident number 845 of November 4.

For further information on how to keep safe this bonfire night visit http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/Safety-advice/Your-Home-and-Business/Halloween-and-Bonfire-Night.aspx