Firefighters rush to Peak District as blaze sweeps across dry moorland
Firefighters tackled a number of blazes on the dry Peak District moors yesterday.
Crews from Hathersage, New Mills and Glossop were called to a ‘deep seated’ fire on Kinder Scout.
While residents were also urged to avoid the Barber Booth area, near Edale, while crews tackled another moorland blaze.
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service (DFRS) has urged people to be more responsible in the moors after recent dry weather.
A DFRS spokesperson said previously: “If you are venturing out, please ensure you take your rubbish with you, discard cigarettes responsibly and please, please do not take a portable barbeque!”
People are advised to not have a BBQ or campfire on the moors, take rubbish home with them, to not discard cigarette ends and smoking materials on the ground and extinguish them properly.
If you see a fire, get to a safe place, note the fire’s location and call the emergency 999 number.