Dog lover believes pet was poisoned

A Tupton woman is urging dog owners to be aware of a suspected spate of deliberate antifreeze dog poisoning around Chesterfield.

Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 9:49 am
Updated Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 10:54 am

Eliza Cartwright’s German Shorthaired Pointer, Hieke, aged eight, died of kidney and liver failure just a week after having difficulty walking and repeatedly fainting.

She decided to come forward after reading in the Derbyshire Times about the suspected poisoning of a seven year-old greyhound in North Wingfield last month.

“I took her for a walk and then the next day I stroked her belly and she growled at me.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“I thought, ‘that’s not like her,’ and took her to the vets and then four days later I had to have her put down.

“It was heartbreaking because she was such a lovely, family-oriented dog.”

Eliza, 21, of Wingfield Road, Tupton, said there had been numerous cases during the last couple of years in North Wingfield, Tupton and Clay Cross.

She believes it is possible many of the dogs are walked at a wooded area near Tupton known as ‘Monkey Hollow.

She is urging other dog-owners to avoid the area and to make sure their animals are fully vaccinated, to rule out any other causes.

Contact the RSPCA with information by phoning 0300 1234 999.