Derbyshire man, 31, hanged himself after argument with girlfriend

A much-loved young man hanged himself following an argument with his girlfriend, an inquest heard.

Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 2:05 pm
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 9:39 pm
The inquest was heard at Chesterfield coroners' court.
The inquest was heard at Chesterfield coroners' court.

Almost six months after Mark Maggi passed away, questions remain unanswered over the exact circumstances surrounding his death after a coroner recorded an open verdict today.

Mr Maggi, 31, had been in a 'volatile' relationship with Stacey Beaumont, Chesterfield coroners' court heard.

On December 16 last year, the pair started to argue and Ms Beaumont told him to leave her house.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Labourer Mr Maggi, of School Close, Newton, near Tibshelf, went outside but refused to leave the property.

Ms Beaumont told the inquest: "He was in the garden for a good few hours.

"I went upstairs and opened the window and he said if he couldn't live with me he couldn't live without me.

"He put a rope around his neck then took it off.

"I didn't think he'd kill himself, I didn't take it seriously - I thought he was joking."

Ms Beaumont said she went to the toilet then later found Mr Maggi's body outside.

She phoned 999 and, despite resuscitation attempts, he was pronounced dead in Chesterfield Royal Hospital that evening.

Ms Beaumont broke down in tears as she told the court: "I loved him."

Mr Maggi's sister, Stephanie Maggi, said: "We were very close.

"He was happy-go-lucky and loved life more than anything.

"He was a jokey person.

"The relationship (between Mr Maggi and Ms Beaumont) was volatile.

"He never said he intended to harm himself - it just wasn't him."

In a written statement, Michelle Smith, a friend of Mr Maggi's, described him as a 'fun-loving, kind and caring' man who 'never really had stability in relationships'.

A neighbour said she heard Mr Maggi and Ms Beaumont arguing 'most days'.

Police had to be called to the house on a number of occasions, the inquest heard.

Coroner Peter Nieto said he did not have enough evidence to prove that Mr Maggi intended to take his own life so could not return a verdict of suicide.

"He didn't tell anyone he was going to harm himself and he didn't suffer from mental health problems," Mr Nieto said.

He recorded an open verdict and offered his condolences to Mr Maggi's loved ones.

• The Samaritans provides a free, confidential listening service all day, every day, all year. Whatever you’re going through, you can call the helpline on 116 123 or email [email protected]