Chesterfield thug attacked man who already had a head injury

A thug head-butted and punched a man outside a pub putting the victim in danger of more serious harm due to a previous head injury.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 7th December 2015, 12:01 pm
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard how Kealan Thomas Higgins, 29, of Langfield Avenue, Birdholme, Chesterfield, attacked John Cooper outside the Nag’s Head pub, at Newbold, Chesterfield.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “The complainant John Cooper went out with friends and he was not drinking alcohol because he was unwell and was drinking soft drinks.

“They went in the Nag’s Head and John Cooper was with his partner and friends when the defendant approached one of his friends telling him the girls had dared him to talk to this man but he stared directly at John Cooper.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The court heard on December 1 how the defendant was being cocky and showing off and as one of the girls in his group threw a pint which went over John Cooper’s partner it sparked a dispute and the defendant became threatening.

Mrs Allsop added: “John Cooper decided he was going to get a taxi because of this behaviour and he had just inputted a taxi number into the phone when the defendant approached him and said I suppose you have got a problem and John Cooper said he didn’t.

“But the defendant lunged at him and head-butted him with force knocking his head into a wall behind and then he punched him several times in the head and John Cooper didn’t respond.

“The complainant said it was an unprovoked attack and he didn’t deserve to be attacked.

“John Cooper said he had had head injuries as a youngster and is aware any knocks could cause substantial injury but despite the attack there were no further injuries suffered.”

Higgins told police beer had been spilled and words were exchanged and when he saw the complainant outside he claimed the complainant had been aggressive.

The defendant pleaded guilty to assault after the incident on October 31.

Magistrates sentenced Higgins on December 2 to a 12 month community order with a six-month curfew and a rehabilitation activity requirement and 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge, £85 costs and a £150 courts charge.