Budding Bolsover Marine threatened takeaway owner during garlic bread row

A budding Royal Marine may have put his immediate career prospects in jeopardy after he threatened a takeaway shop owner during a row over the price of garlic bread.

Wednesday, 16th December 2015, 10:49 am

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Tuesday, December 8, how Terence Bird, 23, of Spencer Street, Carr Vale, Bolsover, had been in the Bolsover Express when he began shouting, swearing and threatening the owner Ozgur Cevir.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “Mr Cevir was working behind the counter when he heard a male’s voice shouting and swearing.

“The defendant was not happy at the £3.50 charge for garlic bread and he was being aggressive and Mr Cevir told him to stop shouting and swearing and he could have his money back.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Mr Cevir eventually said he would call the police and Bird pointed with a gun gesture and said he would see Mr Cevir when he closed up.”

CCTV footage shared with the court showed Bird bouncing around, hitting the counter top and knocking over food cartons before he flung a bin in the direction of another customer.

The other customer told police she was really scared and wanted to get out as soon as possible.

Mr Cevir stated he thought the defendant was going to come over the counter which is why he picked up a metal kebab rod to protect himself.

Bird told police there had been an argument about a price and when he was asked to leave he did not want to because he wanted food.

The defendant explained to police that he had become frustrated and admitted insulting Mr Cevir because he thought he was holding a knife.

Bird pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour after the incident on October 7.

Defence solicitor John Wilford said: “There was an argument that got out of hand and Mr Bird accepts he should have left the shop.

“He said he had paid but his money had been kept and he had been told to go across the road to another takeaway.

“He accepts his behaviour would cause alarm and it was unacceptable.”

Mr Wilford explained that Bird hopes to join the Royal Marines subject to an interview and a physical and he urged the court to fine the defendant because any other sentence may delay him from joining the Armed Forces.

But magistrates sentenced Bird to a 12 month community order with a two month curfew and a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and 120 hours of unpaid work.

He must also pay £50 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge, £85 costs and a £150 courts charge.