A building at their Ripley headquarters has been evacuated following an electrical fault in the basement.
A battery for the power supply is believed to have malfunctioned, causing it to smoke. Sprinklers installed at the building extinguished the fire before fire crews arrived.
No-one has been injured and firefighters are on the scene as a precaution.
Nottinghamshire police is currently handling Derbyshire’s 999 calls as a temporary measure. The 101 call takers have relocated to a different building and are still receiving calls.
Derbyshire offenders - from Chesterfield to Alfreton, Matlock, Belper and Ilkeston - in court
Stonemason pleads with council to allow home in Derbyshire village 'taken over by holiday homes'
Praise for staff at Chesterfield’s Batch House - as investigation continues after 'horrific' crash
Four men charged in connection with raid on cash machine at Chesterfield petrol station
14,000 visitors flock to hottest Ashover Show on record captured in 25 photos
A Derbyshire police spokesperson said engineers were working as quickly as possible to restore the service.
“If you have a general enquiry to make, please contact the 101 number later in the day, when a normal service should resume. You can also visit the force website www.derbyshire.police.uk,” they added.
All 999 and 101 calls are usually taken by staff at the force’s Central Contact Management Centre but contingency plans exist should there be a problem with the building.