12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS: WATCH - Top chef’s advice on preparing your Christmas dinner
It’s one of the best parts of Christmas Day, but it can also be the most stressful.
So to help you make your Christmas dinner perfect, we’ve asked award-winning chef Robert Stordy for some hints and tips.
We start today with advice on how to prepare your turkey and plan the biggest meal of the year.
And we’ve also got a recipe for an easy to make starter to impress your guests too.
Roasted corn and sweet potato soup, tortilla chips serves 4
This is a delicious slightly unusual soup. Cheap and relatively quick to make, can be suitable for vegetarians. If you want to add a further flavour, cut 75g of chorizo into small cubes and gently fry in the oil, remove and add to the soup at the end or spice it up by adding some finely chopped chilli to your liking.
200g sweet corn kernels
200g sweet potato
30ml Corn or vegetable oil
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
50g onions, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
Half tsp cumin
Half tsp paprika
1) Peel and chop the sweet potato into chunks
2) Roast the sweet corn and sweet potato in the oil until light golden brown, cool and remove corn niblets from the cob
3) Place the sweet corn and potato in a saucepan with the stock, garlic, onions, celery, bay leaf, cumin and paprika. Simmer for about 30mins
4) Liquidise the soup and correct consistency with milk
5) Add the lime zest and juice and check seasoning
6) Finish with a swirl of fromage frais or yoghurt.
Cut the tortilla into small chips at place in oven to crisp