Outdoor experts from GardenBuildingsDirect.co.uk have highlighted the potential hazards dogs could face in British backyards and encouraged big-hearted homeowners to take appropriate precautionary measures.
Stones and pits in apricots, cherries, plums and peaches contain deadly cyanide.Larger stones could be a choking hazard.
Dogs can catch a dangerous lungworm infection if they accidentally eat a slug or snail that carries the larvae of the parasite.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Tomato leaves, azaleas and every part of a lily could be poisonous to dogs and cause vomiting, diarrhoea or even death. Unripe and green potatoes can also be very dangerous.
Garden compost heaps will usually be packed full of mouldy food and waste, which can produce dangerous mycotoxin. Use a proper bin or barriers to stop your pet raiding the pile.
Garden mulch bedding made from cocoa beans can be dangerous for dogs because it contains theobromine, the hazardous ingredient that is in chocolate, and can cause vomiting and muscle or heart problems.
Many insecticides and pesticides contain chemicals such as metaldehyde and disulfoton which are a significant threat to dogs, Lots of fertilisers will contain anti-pest additives and consequently dangerous chemicals
Some mushrooms can be highly toxic to dogs, causing sickness and hallucinations, kidney or liver failure
Make sure your garden pond is barriered with fencing, gravel or plants. An exposed pond with slopes could put your dog in danger if it slips,trips or jumps into the water.
Some weeds are barbed and burrow into the ground to germinate - but they could penetrate your dog's body and cause internal damage.
Swallowing or licking many domestic weed killers, which contain glyphosate, could cause your dog breathing or heart problems. This is because many weed killers contain glyphosate
Sharp and mechanical tools and equipment should be securely stored in a shed especially if you have a dog which could injure itself on an exposed implement.
Ferrous sulphate, found in many lawn feeds, could harm your dog's skin or gastrointestinal problems or iron poisoning.
A broken fence or collapsed garden wall could fall and hurt an explorer dog. A gap in your property's boundaries could tempt your hound to go roaming.