“Sweetest” Chesterfield man, 23, died two days after being released from mental health ward

A 23-year-old Chesterfield man died after taking heroin just two days after being released on “leave” to his flat while sectioned at a mental health ward.

Friday, 10th September 2021, 9:11 am

Alasdair Conlon was found by his father Martin on July 9, 2017 in the bedroom of his Whittington Moor flat.

The distraught dad “pulled his son to the floor” and started CPR however it was sadly already too late.

An inquest into Alasdair’s death heard the “troubled soul” died taking “a combination of multiple substances”.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Alasdair Conlan pictured here with family at a wedding

A toxicology report revealed evidence of heroin use.

The 23-year-old “accomplished” musician’s mother Jennifer Conlon, described her son as “the sweetest, kindest person you could ever want to meet” at his inquest today.

She said: “He was a very troubled soul but was really caring and really sweet - he had the most amazing sense of humour. He could light up a room with his smile.”

Coroner Peter Nieto heard Alasdair was admitted to the Hartington Ward at Chesterfield Royal Hospital in April 2017.

He had been diagnosed with suspected schizophrenia following a long struggle with anxiety and depression.

She told how “highly intelligent” Alasdair, diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome aged just 13, would “research solutions” to the condition - “escalating” his anxiety.

The condition eventually led to him being unable to attend school.

Read More

Read More
Brimington man who took his own life “fooled everyone with his smile”

A jury heard cannabis user Alasdair had used the “darknet” to self-medicate.

Mum Jennifer said her son ordered medications from the internet - “all things that would heal his perceived health conditions.”

In 2015 DJ, pianist and surfing lover Alasdair was “informally admitted” to hospital after asking his parents to help buy items he could use to take his own life.

Alasdair was eventually detained under the Mental Health Act in April 2017 due to “increasing concerns” as he refused to take his medication.

Mrs Conlon said her son’s “lack of self-care” resulted in his “not cleaning himself properly” and his “chaotic” living environment - describing his flat as “infested with fruit flies”.

Alasdair told his mum while in hospital that he felt like he was suffocating - and she asked to attend the next ward meeting on July 4 - five days before Alasdair’s death.

During her visit hospital psychiatrist Dr Rashid Akhtar told Mrs Conlon he had “concerns” about Alasdair returning to his flat.

She said: “I agreed that it wasn’t safe there on his own in that flat.”

However, five days later the mum-of-three received a phone call from a nurse at the ward asking where Alasdair was.

Jennifer, describing being “annoyed” that ward staff had released Alasdair without her knowledge, told husband Martin after the hospital call “I’ve got this feeling something’s not right - you need to go down to his flat.”

However when Mr Conlon arrived his son had tragically passed away.

The inquest continues.

A message from Phil Bramley, Derbyshire Times Editor: Support your Derbyshire Times by becoming a digital subscriber. You will see 70 per cent fewer ads on stories, meaning faster load times and an overall enhanced user experience. Click here to subscribe