Upton leads Rhinos to trophy

Tupton 2nd XV 22,

Ripley Rhinos 1st XV 55

Rhinos blew Tupton away with a superb first-half display and took their first silverware after 15 seasons of trying as they won 55-22 to raise the Derbyshire President’s Trophy.

Ripley hit the ground running with fly half Matt Upton playing superbly at the head of all that went well and the Maroons stormed into a 26-0 lead after just 12 minutes.

Firstly the pack forced Tupton back from a scrum and skipper Sam Musgrove was on hand to score.

Then winger Gareth Roebuck picked a great line to touch down.

The third came from Upton passing the ball wide to winger Paul Buzzard to race away and the fourth from Upton himself who sped through to score.

Outside centre Will Evans slotted three conversions in the blitz start.

A fifth converted try followed from scrum half Mitch Wilmott, and then a penalty from Evans.

Tupton scored a try of their own before a further score from full back Dave Trubee saw Ripley into half-time 43-5 ahead.

Tupton stepped up their game second- half and scored early on.

They then had a player red carded for stamping and the game had to go to uncontested scrums.

Though Tupton scored twice more, Ripley still had enough in the tank to score a brace themselves through Rich Keeling and Wilmott to leave them winners at the final whistle.

Skipper Musgrove stepped up to raise the Derbyshire President’s Trophy in front of all the Rhinos players and supporters and the celebrations lasted long into the night.

Upton was the man of the match.

Chesterfield Panthers 1st XV 26,

Melbourne 1st XV 52

The Panthers had to step up a level for this Derbyshire Shield final against a side from a division higher and the class of Melbourne showed as they ran up a commanding half-time lead of 31-5.

The only Chesterfield score came from man of the match Andrew Macefield.

The second-half saw a much improved performance from the Panthers team and for most of the half they were the better side. The pack was in total control with prop Callum Draycott outstanding.

Three times they crossed the opposition line only to for the ball to be adjudged ‘held up’ but the deadlock was finally broken by Franck Derrian after some great work by Ricky Poulter put him in to score.

Panthers were further rewarded when Danny Chapman dived over from five metres out.

Melbourne came back with two interception tries but the Chesterfield team continued to play attacking rugby up to the final whistle and a try for Antony Barnett to add to his three conversions gave the final score of 26-52 against the Panthers.

Panthers could be proud in the way they played and they will carry this performance into the NLD semi-final at home against Stamford on Saturday.