Tupton go second with bonus point victory

Rugby union
Rugby union

Tupton 1st XV 29,

Cleethorpes 18

(Midlands Four East North)

Tupton continued their good 2012 form with a bonus point win against travelling Cleethorpes.

The first quarter of the game saw Tupton take on an early lead through a well worked try finished off by Jordan White.

Cleethorpes won and scored a penalty 15 minutes in taking the score line to 5-3.

With the teams exchanging some good rugby the game remained close until Steve Burton peeled off the back of a trundling maul to crash over the line to extend Tupton’s lead 10-3.

A momentary lapse in concentration allowed Cleethorpes to add to their score with a try leaving the half time score at 10-8 in Tupton’s favour.

A regrouped Tupton returned from the break with the same determination shown at the start of the game and scored two tries in quick succession through Brett Marriott and Sam Curry with Sam Curry adding a conversion.

Again Tupton relaxed and Cleethorpes crept in again to score, 22-13 to Tupton.

Captain Lee Marriott added Tupton’s last score of the day adding his own extras, but it was to be Cleethorpes who scored the final try.

This win moves Tupton up to second place in the league.

Chesterfield Panthers 3rd XV 21, Mosborough 3rd XV 19

With this being the only senior game to beat the frost a bumper crowd saw what was a very tight and competitive game from start to finish.

A Luke Waite try, converted by Liam Charlesworth, put the Panthers in the lead after just nine minutes and this was increased when 17- year-old Jake Blair touched down and Nathan Poulton converted.

Chesterfield led 14-7 at half time.

The visitors started the second half the stronger and ran in two tries to take a five-point lead going into the final quarter.

All looked lost as they put on more pressure and it was only a try- saving tackle from Luke Waite that prevented the lead being increased.

This rallied Chesterfield and with six minutes remaining Waite touched down under the posts. Nathan Poulton kicked the conversion to restore the lead and the score remained that way to the end.

Mention has to be made of the excellent game played by four 17 year olds, Josh Harding, Liam Stoddard, Jake Blair and Callum Howey, all stepping up into senior rugby but the man of the match award went to Luke Waite.

Tupton 2nd XV 17,

Keyworth 2nd XV 12

Tupton claimed the spoils after an afternoon of disruption.

The weather did its best to disturb the afternoon’s rugby but, while the first-team pitch was playable, the seconds were forced to move their game to the Recreation Ground.

This effort was rewarded with a win for the Blues who were forced to work hard for the spoils by Keyworth.

Tupton opened the scoring midway through the first half when Charlie Richmond rolled off a driving maul to record his first try for the club and Chris Kirkwood added the extras.

The second-half had barely begun when Dave Brignull jinked his way over to extend the Blues lead before Keyworth struck back with a well worked try of their own.

The next score would be crucial to the outcome of the game and it was the Blues who got it.

Tupton powered their way into the visitors 22 where Keyworth were awarded a lineout on their own five metre line.

But their hooker threw over the tail where poacher-in-chief Brignull snaffled the ball for his second try.

Keyworth scored again but it was Tupton who claimed the spoils with a 17-12 win.

Man of the match was Michael Emmerson.

Ripley Rhinos 1st XV 5,

Newark 4th XV 32

Rhinos fell to a defeat against a fitter Newark 4ths in this Pennant League game.

Newark led 15-0 at half time and extended their score in the second half. Rhinos solitary try came from Anton Brown. Man of the match was second row Sam Smith.