Town outplayed in all departments


FC United of Manchester 4, Matlock Town 0

Matlock can have few complaints with the result as the Reds won with ease. For the second successive Saturday, the Gladiators were outplayed in all departments.

United showed just why they are one of the favourites for the title, Matlock could not cope with their attacking prowess and could have lost by more.

It was like a game of attack versus defence with the United forward line winning hands down. The visitors offered very little as an attacking force, basically because of their inability to retain possession. A measure of their bluntness at the business end of the field is shown by the fact that their one and only corner arrived two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the game. James Spencer in the United goal scarcely had a shot to save.

The goal United had threatened came on 41 minutes when Wright ran into the excellent Adam Yates who simply had no chance of getting out of the winger’s way.

A harsh free kick was awarded but what happened afterwards was criminal as far as Matlock were concerned. The ball was swung to the far post where the prolific Mike Norton netted with a free header.

Davies shot too high in Matlock’s first noteworthy attempt shortly afterwards, but conceding a sloppy goal so close to half time started their plight which was worsened six minutes into the second half.

Roca had already beaten Featherstone far too easily to create a chance for Wright whose header was blocked. But after Davies had given the ball away, he ran at the Town defence in cavalier style firing in from 20 yards as Jon Kennedy could only help the shot over the line.

It was game over as far as Matlock were concerned, with damage limitation being the prime aim.

If Matlock thought their grilling from United’s right would cease, they would be badly mistaken. Full back Kyle Jacobs took over scoring the final two goals.

Norton failed with a free header from a corner and Coleman blocked a Jacobs shot as the full back warmed up for his coup de gras.

On 75, he ran unchallenged from deep and drove low just inside Kennedy’s left hand post.

Matlock’s injury crisis was exacerbated as Davies was stretchered off with a leg injury, and they had to complete the game with ten players as all substitutions had been made.

They were badly outnumbered on 84 minutes as Jacobs again penetrated their now brittle rearguard to shoot past Kennedy and he might have had a hat-trick as his 30 yarder flashed high by a slender distance.

Matlock: Kennedy, Yates, Featherstone (Roe 74), Foster, Laight, Foster, Hindley (Grayson 56), Davies, Ellington, McMahon (Coleman 61), Leesley. Other subs: Dennis, Buxton.

Attendance: 1,763.