Tough time for Matlock in away day battering

Market Rasen & Louth 71

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 7:01 pm
New Matlock signing Mike Allen aims to make progress at Market Rasen. Photo by Colin Baker.

Matlock 10

Matlock fell to their second heavy defeat of the season as hosts Market Rasen & Louth emphatically put them to the sword in Lincolnshire on Saturday.

Matlock made the early running with their direct style and earned themselves two penalties in quick succession, but fly-half Chris Young was unable to convert either.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts soon had their first try courtesy of Ollie Cole, converted by Meehal Grint, and the second soon followed from George Eddell which was again converted.

Grint added the next try following a scrum and after a poor clearance kick, Cole powered over again to secure Market Rasen their bonus point.

Almost immediately a fifth try was to follow as Matlock gave away possession from the re-start, Matt Sutton the scorer with Grint converting.

Despite the deficit Matlock kept their belief and centre Ben Neville breezed past some ineffectual tackling with ease to end the half with a try to leave his side 35-5 adrift at the interval.

Matlock began the second-half as they’d ended the first, scoring their second try when Young showed excellent vision with a crossfield kick to find Henri Packard who arrived from full-back to double the visitors’ score.

The home side were soon to regain their composure, however, and they scored their next try through debutant Henry Spencer with a powerful pick and drive over the line.

Packard was sent to the sin bin after being alleged to have knocked on when attempting to intercept an inside pass, and from a subsequent line-out Cole was able to go over for his third try.

Skipper Dave Starling added the next try following a line-out before Nick Harvey scored after finding space to outrun the Matlock defence which was enduring a torrid time.

Grint added the simple conversion to double his second-half tally.

It was now one way traffic as first Dan Robinson flew in at the corner, magnificently converted by Grint, and finally Harvey completed the rout with his second try of the match.