Pride retained for Chargers despite defeat

editorial image

Yorkshire Junior Rugby League returned to Dunston Road with the North Derbyshire Chargers Under 15s.

The U15s were second in the league before Saturday’s match against an experienced Featherstone Lions in third.

Early exchanges showed both sides wanted the two league points and were willing to defend their try-lines fiercely to win them.

Cory Green and Joe Keightley both made big defensive plays before tremendous scrambling Lions defence kept the home-side from crossing the whitewash.

It was the travelling side though who opened the scoring with a smart team-try scored near the left touchline.

The conversion was missed but they quickly extended their lead with a touch down from the restart. The successful conversion made it 10-0.

Chargers found a way to fight their way back into the match after 16 minutes, with a set play from a Chargers scrum setting the home side’s man of the match, Ashley Dobb, galloping over from the half way line standing up Lions defenders to score right under the posts.

Rogan Cooper added a straight-forward conversion to reduce the away side’s lead to four points.

The match played back and forth for the next ten minutes or so, with both side’s attack and defensive qualities challenging each other for the ascendancy. It was the away team that found a way over the line, missing a conversion but increasing their lead to 14-6.

On the stroke of half-time, Chargers centre Jarman Langton produced a try-saving tackle to prevent his opposite number from increasing the Lions’ lead. Following half-time, the Lions found a purple-patch and were able to score several unanswered tries to effectively secure the two points on the league table.

The experienced Lions team were keeping the ball alive, and their scrum half and stand off were creating space for their willing runners to extend the lead.

With time running out and Lions leading 44-6, the Chargers showed enthusiasm hadn’t been dampened, with Gabe Ward sprinting along the right touchline to score the final try of the match and reward the loyal Chargers supporters cheering them to the final whistle.

A competitive fixture ended 44-10 to the Lions who enjoyed a dominant ten minute spell after half time to ensure an away victory.