Mill men retain Alma Cup

The final of the Dey and Co Alma Cup which was contested by holders, first division Mill Madrid and second division Tibshelf Town at the Bb2net Stadium, turned out to be a great advert for the VK Kick Energy Chesterfield & District Sunday League.

Underdogs Tibshelf took the lead on six minutes, thanks to a great diving header by Tommy Crawford.

As half-time approached Mill Madrid equalised through a good near post header by Nico De Girolamo from a corner kick.

The second half started brightly with Town’s John Harris striking the post with a strong shot on 50 minutes before Ross Armstrong’s superb pass set up John Harris to score goal number two for Town.

The second Mill Madrid equaliser arrived after on 71 minutes from a well-taken Jamie Pemberton penalty kick.

Mill Madrid moved into the ascendancy, taking the lead for the first time when substitute Leigh Naughton to side footed home on 85 minutes.

The final goal in the last minute was a real cracker Jamie Smith scoring from fully 30 yards.

Mill’s victory saw them retain the cup for a second year.

The outcome of the Ace Sports Chatsworth Cup final at Glapwell FC was effectively decided in the first 45 minutes.

Paul Simpson’s Highfield had recently completed their league campaign without losing a single game, scoring more than 100 goals and collecting the division five title.

Opponents Rowthorne Lane SC had been crowned division four champions. It was Rowthorne who drew first blood 11 minutes in. Richard Preston made a purposeful run down Highfield’s left before picking out an unmarked George Simpson on the far post with a fine cross, Simpson heading past keeper Jamie Bradbury.

Rowthorne’s lead lasted just five minutes as Jordan Foster’s shot took a deflection off defender Shaun Reynolds which gave keeper Jamie Bingley no chance.

Highfield’s netted a second a minute from the interval when Jerome Wilkes latched on to a through ball before a calm finish.

Highfield maintaining their one goal advantage to win the tie.

The Mill-sponsored Hutson Cup final, again played at Glapwell FC, was contested by holders Renishaw MW and Holmebrook Tavern. Renishaw who had already won the division seven league title began as favourites. The game came alive four minutes into the second period as Holmebrook failed to clear a corner properly, the ball falling to Jonathan Senior on the left, his pin point pass was met by Barry Alberry who drilled a powerful shot home from 14 yards.

The best and Renishaw’s second goal of the game came on 67 minutes when Alberry picked out Senior on the right who hit a superb pass to the prolific Jamie Pleweki.

The striker, who has scored goals for fun all season, made no mistake, placing a sublime shot beyond the despairing dive of keeper Matt Fletcher.

A slip by defender Danny Strong presented Aaron Blakemore with an opportunity to put the result beyond doubt, he duly obliged, hammering the ball home from 16 yards to the delight of the Renishaw players and supporters.