Marathon stint for Fletcher


Chesterfield 1st XI 110-9

v Sandiacre Town 1st XI – match abandoned

(Derbyshire Premier League)

Chesterfield spent a miserable day at a wet Longmoor Lane ground on Saturday after being put in to bat on soft green pitch that was close to being unplayable in the early stages of a rain affected game.

Sandiacre are in close contention for this season’s league title and their outstanding record has been based on an outstanding trio of seamers who quickly exploited the conditions to run through Chesterfield’s upper order.

James Pipe’s excellent recent form was dented when the first ball he faced from Ryan McFadyean seamed in to clip his off bail and the same bowler found the edge of Ben Slater’s bat to remove the young opener who two days earlier had compiled 156 not out for Derbyshire seconds against Warwickshire.

Worse was to follow when Wes Durston, who had just completed his 1,000 first-class runs for the season for Derbyshire, had his middle stump removed by Dan Wheeldon to leave Chesterfield in the perilous position of 16-3.

Much-needed relief for a beleaguered Chesterfield arrived shortly afterwards in the form of a torrential downpour of rain and ice that confined the teams to the pavilion for a lengthy period which incorporated an early tea,

When play resumed, the excessively wet outfield proved something of a leveller with the bowlers having to contend with a wet ball but batting remained difficult and wickets continued to fall.

With so much time lost Sandiacre needed to bowl Chesterfield out well before their 50-over entitlement to give them time for the run chase and in this endeavour they were defied by Matt Fletcher whose innings lasted for close to five and a half hours including time off the field for rain.

In keeping the Sanidacre attack at bay while scoring an invaluable 42, Fletcher took Chesterfield a considerable way to safety and any remaining doubts were extinguished by Rob McCarroll who managed to occupy the crease for over an hour for his 16 runs.

With time running out, confirmation of Chesterfield’s successful rearguard action came with the umpires’s decision to abandon the game half an hour prior to the scheduled finishing time.

McFadyean finished with 4-16 in 15 hostile overs while John Jordison took 3-32.

Chesterfield hope for better conditions at Queen’s Park on Saturday when they meet rivals Alfreton who are in desperate need of points in their endeavour to survive in the Premier League.

Sandiacre Town ten points, Chesterfield six points.

Chesterfield 2nd XI 200 all out,

Heanor Town 1st XI 201-8

Chesterfield lost out to Heanor Town in a closely-contested match between promotion contenders at Queen’s Park on Saturday.

A brisk 27 from James Colton set Chesterfield on the way and there were a series of good contributions led by Joe Cooper (37), Tim Kirk (41) and Rob Hiron (23) as the side used up every one of their 46 overs to post a respectable 200 all out.

Heanor’s batting was an even more impressive collective effort as the top six batsmen all went past 20 led by Andrew Taylor (33).

They looked well set at 181-4 but the chase was almost derailed as four wickets went down in the space of 11 runs before victory was achieved with two wickets and two overs to spare.

Paul Goodwin (2-36) and Shaz Jamil (2-32) helped Chesterfield come close to success but the end result saw Heanor move to the top of the table with Chesterfield dropping to fifth and having to rely on good results in games in hand to restore their promotion prospects.

Chesterfield travel to Ilkeston on Saturday and then play one of their games in hand when they entertain West Hallam at Queen’s Park on Sunday in another clash between teams chasing promotion.

Chesterfield nine points, Heanor Town 22 points.

Chesterfield 3rd XI 204-6,

Wirksworth & Middleton 151-6

(Mansfield Sunday League)

Chesterfield played well to secure a winning draw against the table-topping side at Queen’s Park on Sunday.

After electing to bat, Chesterfield lost three early wickets including two to Joe Bradbury (2-29) before making good progress with a 57- run partnership between Matt Davison (28) and James Colton (31).

Wirksworth’s Toby Howard (3-26) dismissed both batsman and quickly took a third wicket as Chesterfield slipped to 127-6 from which point they prospered to close on 204-6 courtesy of a fluent innings from Tim Kirk (57 not out) and good support from Mick Davison (20 not out).

Wirksworth looked on the way to a rare defeat as they collapsed to 45-6 with Rob McCarroll ripping through the Wirksworth early order.

But James Brierley (75 not out) and Dale Humphreys (41 not out) batted out the overs to save their side from defeat closing on 151-6.

McCarroll finished with 4-13 from ten overs and Carl Bowling (2-41).

There was considerable consolation for Wirksworth in that even the losing draw proved to be sufficient to see them crowned as champions of the division.