Jarman pounces with late Reds decider

Alfreton V Hayes and Yeading
Alfreton V Hayes and Yeading

Alfreton Town 3, Hayes & Yeading 2

A sensational finish to Alfreton Town’s vital 3-2 win over Hayes & Yeading on Saturday saw four goals scored at the Impact Arena in added time.

The game culminated in a roller-coaster ride of emotions for both sets of players and fans with United twice drawing level, but determination to succeed was the key after the Reds had battered the visitors incessantly.

Alfreton also had to play from the 31st minute with ten men after Jamie Mullan was sent off for kicking out at Luke Williams, but after a brief spell on the back foot they pressed forward relentlessly and could even afford the luxury of another missed penalty - their third failure from the spot in two games against Hayes.

It was 0-0 at the break but four minutes after the interval Moult was tripped by Morris in the penalty area and Anthony Church was entrusted with the spot-kick, but Pentney parried it and Connor Franklin headed the loose ball over.

Alfreton took the lead in the 64 minute when Arnold fired home from a diminishing angle after a determined run down the right had taken him virtually to the by-line, but Hayes keeper Pentney became injured in attempting to save and had to be replaced by Delroy Preddie.

Immediate thoughts when the fourth official indicated five minutes of added time were that Alfreton should comfortably hold on to their 1-0 lead with Hayes scarcely having had a shot on target, but the author of “Roy of the Rovers” could not have scripted what was still to come.

Two minutes into added time Williams headed against the inside of the upright and in the confusion that the rebound created the unfortunate Arnold scored again - but this time in his own net attempting a clearance.

It looked as if the Reds were once again going to lose out on vital points but two minutes later a determined run by Arnold, eager to make amends, led to his by-line cross being fired in from ten yards by Moult to trigger wild celebrations as colleagues piled on top of him.

In the fifth minute over regulation it was the visitors’ turn to emulate the celebrations with what they thought was a brilliant equaliser, when Soares made the net bulge with a 30-yard strike that whistled past Reds’ keeper Joe Day.

Even more time was added and when sub Nathan Jarman headed home Moult’s corner from three yards there was an encore of the mass hysteria as once again the goalscorer was smothered by the rest of the team.

Alfreton Town: Day; Streete, Young, Quinn, Franklin, Mullan, Moult, Church, Arnold, Clayton (Jarman 79), A.Wilson (Eagle 72). Unused subs: Law, Brown, Senior

Attendance: 600 (inc 31 visitors).

Pictured in midfield action is Anthony Church.