Chesterfield HC left to rue missed chances

Matlock Baileans v Beeston. Pictured for Matlock (in white) is Gemma Phipps.
Matlock Baileans v Beeston. Pictured for Matlock (in white) is Gemma Phipps.

Rock-Bottom Chesterfield were left to rue missed chances after they were beaten 5-1 at home to Stone in their second game of the Midlands Division One season.

The hosts got off to the worst possible start when a defensive error lead to Stone comfortably taking the lead inside the first ten minutes.

Chesterfield could count themselves lucky not to go further behind as further defensive mistakes kept offering easy chances for Stone.

But the visitors’ forwards were wasteful in front of goal, with Chesterfield goalkeeper Matt Lloyd, making a number of good saves.

Chesterfield slowly started to get a foothold in the game and their forward pressing eventually yielded reward when skipper Adam Bointon robbed the ball from the opponents’ sweeper in his own circle and buried a shot into the bottom left.

The game was one-sided for the rest of the first half as Stone were clinging on until the whistle, with Ash Higginbottom and Tasos Vasimidis both forcing the Stone goalkeeper, Mark Azram, into good saves.

The second half began as the first ended with Chesterfield on top, with the best chance falling to Christian Battye, who burst into the circle and saw his powerful shot bounce straight off Azram’s pads.

Again, it was a Chesterfield error that gave the visitors the initiative, despite being down to ten men, when Mike Fearn lost possession outside the opposition circle.

It allowed Stone to break quickly through Randall Moore, who burst through several poor challenges to roll the ball into the back of the net.

Chesterfield then lost defensive discipline striving for an equaliser, losing both Ben Curley and Jonathan Hodgson to the sin-bin, but more importantly offering up lots of space for Stone to break into.

Moore got his second of the game from a sharp volley from a rebound off Matt Lloyd’s gloves, and Stone killed the game off when drag flicker Jonathan Allchin found the top right corner of the net from a penalty corner.

Randall Moore completed his hat-trick to make it five from a well-worked penalty corner routine, putting the game totally out of sight.

Chesterfield got a late consolation from a penalty corner when Gareth Hunter picked out Adam Bointon on the left post to deflect the ball into the net for his second of the game.

The result leaves Chesterfield at the bottom of the table with no points, and they will need to convert chances if they are to avoid being dragged into a relegation battle.