Gray decider is blow for Reds


Southport 2, Alfreton Town 1

Alfreton Town have reached the halfway point in their Blue Square Bet Premier season, but lost their tenth away game at Southport on Saturday.

Once again the Reds performed far and above their lowly position and were frustrated by going down by the odd goal, this time after Adam Quinn had put them deservedly ahead after 62 minutes.

It was the on-loan defender’s first goal since arriving from Darlington, but Alfreton’s lead lasted for just eight minutes before two strikes in the space of 60 seconds put paid to their hopes of a third successive League victory at Haig Avenue.

Reds’ sub Josh Law had been on the pitch just three minutes when he received a return pass from a short corner to deliver a deep cross for Quinn to send a looping header past Southport keeper Tony McMillan at the back post.

Eight minutes later Kurtis Guthrie cut in from the left and fired low and hard from 25 yards with a shot that was destined for the far corner of the net, but the ball took a wicked deflection off a Reds’ defender and flew in at the near post with keeper Joe Day unable to cover the change of flight.

Within a minute Southport had taken the lead when Tony Gray found time and space to steer an Andy Owens’ cross past Day from 15 yards, and from that point it became increasingly difficult for Alfreton to find a way back into a game in which they had held the upper hand for 70 minutes.

Alfreton’s best chance of the first half was squandered by Moult when he had time to control Connor Franklin’s cross but dwelt a fraction too long and sliced wide from ten yards.

Theo Streete had to tackle back well as Owens attempted a defence splitting pass, then Adam Carden drilled inches over the bar from 18 yards following a long throw by Owens.

Alfreton: Day; Streete, Young, Quinn, Franklin, Eagle (Brown 80), Moult, Church, Arnold, Clayton (Jarman 76), A.Wilson (Law 59). Other subs: M.Wilson, Franks.

Attendance: 1,061 (49 from Alfreton).