Wilson curls Reds to Trophy upset

Alfreton Town edged through to the second round of the FA Trophy after knocking out 2015 winners North Ferriby United on Saturday, thanks to Ryan Wilson's spectacular 63rd-minute strike '” the only goal of the tie at the lmpact Arena.

Monday, 12th December 2016, 8:25 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 1:37 pm
Ryan Wilson in action for Alfreton Town.

It may not have been a classic tie, but it was the Reds’ second National League scalp of the season, having knocked Gateshead out of the FA Cup.

Their reward is a trip to the winners of an all-National League replay between Boreham Wood and Maidstone United.

Just as he had in the replay on Tyneside in that FA Cup tie, Adam Smith hobbled off early after bravely trying to continue.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Alfreton had started brightly through his sprints down the right flank, one of which culminated in Sam Smith’s first-minute effort being ruled off-side.

The Smiths’ combination worked again in the sixth minute, Sam’s touch at the near post from Adam’s cross gathered by visiting keeper Rory Watson.

A crucial tackle back by Niall Heaton prevented Reece Thompson from firing Ferriby in front six minutes later.

Craig Westcarr, who replaced Smith, curled a free-kick towards goal that was held by Watson, before hooking wide after Andy Monkhouse had nodded a Heaton cross into his path.

The first half ended with Brad McGowan having to clear an awkward Curtis Bateson effort off the line.

Paul Clayton glanced a header wide from a Westcarr free-kick four minutes after the break and Westcarr saw his header from a Monkhouse cross held by Watson.

However, the Villagers’ keeper was helpless to prevent Wilson’s 25-yard scorcher from curling into the top corner of the net out of the blue to give Alfreton the lead.

Clayton’s 69th-minute header was cleared off the line from a Wilson corner and at the other end Fabian Spiess came to the rescue with a reflex save from Ross Armstrong.

Ferriby’s last chance of the game drifted away from them in the 85th minute when Thompson headed over from close range at a Steve Brogan free-kick.

Alfreton: Spiess; Mantack, McGowan, Kennedy, Heaton, Nyoni, Monkhouse, Wilson, A. Smith [Westcarr 16], S. Smith [Jordan 90+2], Clayton. Subs not used: Hearn, Priestley, Allan.

Referee: Thomas Bramall.

Attendance: 290.