The big talking points from Chesterfield's first defeat of the season against Woking

Chesterfield conceded three times in the second-half at Woking to fall to their first defeat of the season.

Wednesday, 29th September 2021, 9:19 am
Chesterfield lost 3-1 at Woking on Tuesday night.

A double from Tahvon Campbell and a goal from Inih Effiong cancelled out Saidou Khan’s first-half wonder strike.


This was the Spireites’ first defeat of the season and, in the end, it was deserved.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The visitors were fairly comfortable for the first 40 minutes but they came under some pressure before half-time with Scott Loach making three good saves and Woking’s Joe McNerney hitting the crossbar with a header.

In the second-half Town were miles off it and you sensed it was only heading one way when Campbell equalised.

However, despite the defeat it has still been a good start to the season so there is no need to panic.

Eighteen points from nine games is a strong return so a bit of perspective is needed.

If they continue to average two points a game then they will be up there come the end of the season.

Under James Rowe this team has tended to bounce back from adversity and I can’t imagine that this will signal a prolonged run of poor form.

In fact, it could even be a positive in the long run because perhaps they have learnt a few lessons and they can reset and go again.

You get nights like this in the National League so it is important not to overreact.


The way Chesterfield folded in the second-half was more concerning than the defeat itself.

They had not conceded an away goal this season but it was all downhill after the first one went in on 64 minutes through Campbell.

And unfortunately it was the late, late show...again.

After conceding two after 88 minutes against Torquay on Saturday, history repeated itself with Campbell getting his second on 87 and Effiong added a third on 89.

In fairness, the third came as Town threw men forward in search of an equaliser.

The other two goals were a combination of individual mistakes and giving away possession too easily.

Chesterfield could not deal with Woking’s physicality and they struggled to put any passing moves together and to get out of their own half.

They were overrun and outmuscled in a way we have not seen in the last 10 months.

However, credit to Woking because they have got some good players and they could be a surprise package this season.

The heavy rain and thunderstorms summed up what was a miserable night.


Manny Oyeleke’s absence in midfield was a big miss and Town could have done with his physicality.

"I think it is clear in the last two games that he has been a big loss for us,” Rowe said.

They could do with him back for two more away trips to Wrexham and Southend next week.


Khan gave Chesterfield the lead with a stunning strike from inside his own half on 12 minutes.

He caught out Woking goalkeeper Craig Ross with a lofted effort which caught everyone by surprise.

It was worthy of winning any game but it counted for little in the end.


3-4-1-2: Loach; Kerr, Gunning, Grimes; King (56), Weston, Khan, Miller; Mandeville (McCourt, 77); Payne (Rowe, 77), Tshimanga. Unused subs: Maguire, Whittle.