"Staggering self interest is disgusting" - club chairman hits out at those threatening legal action if National League season is not finished

A chairman of a National League club has hit out at those threatening legal action if the season does not resume due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Tuesday, 31st March 2020, 5:55 pm

The National League season is officially suspended until at least April 3 but it is likely to be postponed into May or June if it does resume.

Some clubs want the season cancelled because they won’t be able to afford to pay players into the summer months. A lot of contracts at non-league level expire at the end of April.

“I find the staggering self interest being displayed by those who can afford to continue to pursue gain from the season by threatening legal action if they don’t get their own way against good people trying to do their best in unprecedented circumstances disgusting beyond further words,” said Dover Athletic chairman Jim Parmenter.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There has been a lot of confusion this week with regards to whether the campaign would resume or be cancelled.

A statement from National League chairman, Mike Tattersall, said the broad consensus was that “our clubs wish for a decision to be made to close the season as soon as possible” and that The FA had been asked to assist with officially postponing all remaining fixtures and to end the season as soon as possible for the purposes of player contracts.

However, the message now is that season could be finished later in the summer, although there has been no official confirmation.

Chesterfield boss John Pemberton has said he would like the season to resume when it is safe to do so.

Dover Athletic's Crabble Stadium.

Mr Parmenter also revealed that Dover “has run out of money” as a result of the season being suspended.

“Put simply the club has run out of money, with no income at all and none likely for the foreseeable future,” he said.

“I yesterday met by video conference with our football management and player representatives to explain the situation to them.

“I have offered all footballing staff participation in the government’s furlough scheme, the details of this are not complete, but I have been informed that it will be applicable in our case.”