Moyses set for Reds return

Alfreton Town manager Chris Moyses has been asked to return for another season at the Reds.

Sunday, 29th April 2018, 1:52 pm
Updated Sunday, 29th April 2018, 1:56 pm
Alfreton manager Chris Moyses. Picture: Chris Etchells

He said after a 1-0 defeat at Chorley in the final match the chairman had told him the board unanimously wanted the boss to continue at the helm.

“It is really, really nice,” said Moyses.

“I have got to go away and do a bit of work, so hopefully we can dot the Is and cross the Ts, and we’ll be here next season.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Moyses said the Reds fought well at Chorley.

“The 4-3-3 shape that we’ve been employing the last couple of games worked for us.

“It’s a bit unfortunate that we lost to a comedy of errors defending.

“They’re the bits we need to work on going forward — we gave the players absolute freedom, telling them to go out and enjoy themselves.”

Alfreton completed their National League season in the safety of 17th position after being edged out by a fortuitous 52nd minute goal from Jason Walker at Chorley on Saturday, the Reds’ first defeat in the final six away games.

Whether it was a miskick or a very clever chip, the ball looped up off Walker on the edge of the area to leave Chris Elliott stranded.

It left Alfreton with nothing to show for a spirited performance, particularly in the first half.

A slick move involving Craig Disley and Tom Allan in the eighth minute ended with home keeper Matt Urwin clutching the latter’s cross at his near post.

Then a towering header from Allan flashed wide from a Sam Topliss free-kick.

Allan went closer with another back post header from Ryan Jennings’ 21st minute corner before a lethargic Chorley, safely entrenched in a play-off position, eventually responded with a wayward header from Josh Wilson.

Jennings blazed over from a Marcus Mashall cross before Lee Molyneux scooped Allan’s angled drive off the line on 32 minutes.

Nyal Bell was next to go close from the edge of the area, then Tom Platt’s adventurous diagonal run ended with a Reds corner before Kegan Everington almost found the target from a Bell lay-off.

Urwin did well to hold a stinging Platt drive three minutes before the break, but at the other end Elliott needed to react quickly when Marcus Carver latched on to a sloppy back-pass.

The second half had more of an end-of-season feel to it.

Andre Johnson’s 65th-minute deflected cross fell just short of Bell before Elliott again saved from Wilson.

Johnson cut in from the left only to see his stifled shot comfortably saved, then the game finished with Bell heading wide from an astute James Baxendale cross.

ALFRETON: Elliott; Topliss, Beevers, Shiels [Johnson 58], Allan, Disley [Baxendale 77], Platt, Marshall, Jennings, Everington, Bell. Other subs: Sharp, Johansson.

Referee: James Bell.

Attendance: 1053.