Mixed bag for Millers and Glapwell in Central Midlands

Brodsworth MW v Clay Cross Town at The Welfare Ground in Woodlands. Anthony Corner pictured for Brodsworth.
Brodsworth MW v Clay Cross Town at The Welfare Ground in Woodlands. Anthony Corner pictured for Brodsworth.

Clay Cross Town FC returned empty handed from Brodsworth following a narrow 2-1 defeat after a goalless first half.

The home side took the lead through a Dan Smith penalty on 56 minutes. Seven minutes later, a weaving run from Ben Goodwin saw him finish with quality to level the scores.

Just as it looked like the Millers would get a share of the points for the second week saw Brodsworths Maddison send in a looping cross to beat the Clay Cross goalkeeper.

Following a midweek game at Phoenix, the Millers will be on the road this Saturday to Easington United. They will finally return home for the first home league game of the campaign on Bank Holiday Monday, August 25 for the visit of Welbeck (3pm).

The Millers picked up a more encouraging result on Tuesday night in a 3-3 draw at Phoenix FC.

While Glapwell produced the perfect response to their midweek defeat as they recorded a comfortable 3-0 win over Easington United at Hall Corner.

Overall, this was a dominant performance and the final scoreline could have been much larger on another day.

They made a bright start to the game and took the lead after only eight minutes when Nathan Whitehead crossed for Neil Grayson to fire into the roof of the net.

Glapwell continued their positive start to the game and Nathan Whitehead was denied by a good save by Charlie Holden.

Ashley Grayson then fired an effort wide before Jordan Jones’ acrobatic effort was straight at Holden.

Easington had a chance to level before the break when a cross from the left was headed out as far as Paul Wilkinson whose low effort was well held by Ryan Hopkins.

Glapwell continued to dominate in the second period and went close to doubling their lead when Neil Grayson’s header was tipped over by Holden before Callum Dovison found space but headed over the bar.

But after threatening for much of the second period, Glapwell doubled their lead on 68 minutes when Nathan Whitehead brilliantly lobbed the ball over Holden from just inside the area.

It could have been three shortly afterwards when Josh Parfitt beat a defender before seeing his shot bounce back off the inside of the post and roll agonisingly across the face of goal.

But Parfitt got Glapwell’s third with seven minutes remaining when he tucked the ball home under the body of Holden to complete a fine afternoon for Glapwell who recorded their first clean sheet for 36 games.

They followed this up with a point on the road in a 2-2 draw with Ollerton Town FC on Tuesday night.