Matlock Town left fuming following three red cards during FA Cup exit

Paul Phillips was left fuming after Matlock Town were knocked out of the FA Cup by Guiseley on Tuesday night.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 10:14 am

Not by his team’s performance, but by the display of referee Ed Duckworth who sent off both Liam Hughes and Adam Yates.

Assistant coach and substitute Kade Coppin was dismissed in the tunnel at half time and bookings went to Ryan Qualter, Osebi Abadaki and Declan Walker.

Guiseley had three players booked in what had not been a dirty game.

The Gladiators had to play all but the first eight minutes without captain Liam Hughes and Yates received a harsh second yellow card on the hour.

“The referee wanted to be the centre of attention, he’s booked loads of players and sent two off the field in what was never a dirty game," snapped Phillips.

"We got the brunt of it but he was bad for both sides. It was a big game for both clubs and he wasn’t experienced enough to handle it."

Now Hughes will face a three match ban, a huge personal blow for him as well as the Gladiators with Hughes swiftly becoming a cult figure at the Proctor Cars Stadium, leading the Gladiators attack.

Coppin and Yates will likely receive shorter bans while Qualter will also serve a one-match suspension after accumulating five bookings. “The game hinged around the referee’s performance. Liam said he got in a bit of a tangle, the red card was out straightaway," Phillips added.

"Adam Yates was sent off for a tackle that their lad had got away with earlier in the game. There’s no need for loads of lads being booked, the game didn’t warrant it.

"Their centre half was fortunate to stay on, he pulled Osebi back in the first half which should have been a booking and only stayed on because when he did it again, it was his first yellow. It was a nailed on penalty, I’ve no complaints about that, but all of the cards and a lot of the decisions spoilt what would have been a very good game.”

The penalty was converted by Lebrun Mbeka to give Guiseley a 23rd minute lead and despite having two more men than the Gladiators for the final half hour, the National League North side could only score once more through Jonathan Wafula midway through the second half.