Match report: Spireites frustrated by Blackpool in Proact basement battle

Chesterfield were frustrated by fellow strugglers Blackpool in a basement battle at the Proact that finished 1-1.

Tuesday, 1st March 2016, 8:45 pm
Updated Tuesday, 1st March 2016, 10:16 pm

Spireites dominated possession for large parts but were unable to find a winner, even when the visitors were reduced to 10 men late on.

Neither side started like a team worried about the drop, smart passing and a willingness to attack bringing opportunities at both ends.

In fact it was somewhat miraculous that the first half was goalless, the woodwork struck four times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool’s Brad Potts and Uche Ikpeazu impressed early on, while Gboly Ariyibi was a handful.

The sides traded chances, Potts denied by Tommy Lee’s smart save and Ariyibi’s cross almost forcing an own goal from Tom Aldred.

Ariyibi then curled a lovely effort onto the post, before Potts smashed a drive onto the inside of Lee’s upright.

Ikpeazu began to come to the fore, turning sharply on the penalty spot to test Lee.

Things did settle down, Danny Wilson switching to a more solid looking 4-4-2, although Spireites lost some of their attacking menace.

But Ikpeazu dragged Blackpool into the ascendancy, shrugging off challenges to win a corner that was first headed onto the bar by Clark Robertson and then onto the post by Aldred.

Chesterfield had by far the better start to the second half, Ariyibi seeing a cross cleared from under the bar inside 10 seconds of the restart.

But it was Blackpool who broke the deadlock with their first attack of the second period, Potts coming through the middle and firing in a shot that deflected over Lee.

Spireites crafted the perfect response four minutes later, half-time sub Jay O’Shea lashing a superb strike into the far top corner.

As the half wore on Chesterfield began to dominate, Ariyibi the main source of joy, whipping in a number of inviting crosses.

Blackpool remained dangerous on rare attacks, Ikpeazu guilty of a poor first touch when played in by Potts, allowing Talbot and Lee to halt him.

An 88th minute red card for Blackpool skipper David Ferguson, who hauled down Ariyibi for his second yellow, made it a frenetic finale, Spireites piling on the pressure.

There was no winner, however, the visitors happier with the point at full-time.

Chesterfield: Lee 7, Talbot 6, John 7, Hird 7, Anderson 7, O’Neil 7, Banks 6, Dimaio 6 (O’Shea 46), Ariyibi 7, Ebanks-Blake 6 (Slew 86), NOVAK 7. Not used: Gardner, Humphreys, Donohue, Chapman, Simons.

Blackpool: Doyle 7, White 6 (Boyce 64), Aldred 7, Robertson 6, Ferguson 6, Norris, Potts 7, McAlister 7, Philliskirk 6, Redshaw 7 (Herron 90), Ikpeazu 7. Not used: Cullen, Peterson, Osayi-Samuel, Lyness, Yeates.

Referee: Mr Eddie Ilderton. Assistants: Mr Karl Evans, Mr Peter Gooch.

Fourth official: Mr Gareth Mellor.

Goalscorers: O’Shea 57; Potts 53

Yellows: Ferguson 18, 88, Aldred 81

Red: Ferguson 88

Attendance: 5,915 (235 away)