Match report: Heanor Town 2 Staveley MW 1


There was no love lost on Valentine’s Day between these two Derbyshire rivals as Heanor grabbed all three points through a late winner from Sam Jones.

The 50 plus from Staveley in the crowd of 175 saw Ellis Wall’s 76th minute goal cancel out Nathan Benger’s early strike and it looked at that point if the visitors could go on and steal all three points.

There was further late controversy when leading scorer Jahmal Smith was sent off after a clash with home ‘keeper Ian Deakin.

The home side dominated the first 30 minutes and created a number of chances. Ellis Wall conceded a free-kick with less than 60 seconds on the clock and the visitors were relieved to see Heanor’s big centre back Marc Strzyzewski miss his header and Brad Jones was on hand to clear.

Sam Jones then created a chance for himself, but his shot went wide of the Staveley goal.

Ex-Staveley forward Nathan Benger then had a couple of chances, the first coming after Damian Magee slipped although Jordan Hodder was on hand to block the resulting shot. In between these chances, Staveley almost created an opening when a long ball from Brad Jones nearly caught out a slow Heanor defence and Ian Deakin needed to come out and clear the ball as Ellis Wall threatened.

The home side deservedly took the lead after 14 minutes although it wasn’t a great goal from Staveley’s view point.

A high hopeful cross was sent in from the left hand side towards the back post and Nathan Benger rose above his marker and got a powerful header to the ball that gave Steve Hernandez no chance.

Staveley nearly provided an immediate response when a long Hernandez clearance down the centre was chased down by Jahmal Smith, but he was unable to get on the end of it.

Jack Watts then wrong footed Heanor captain Chris Shaw, who slipped, and Watts put in an inviting cross that Ellis Wall was unable to rise high enough to get his head on.

Down at the other end, Heanor’s aerial power was proving a problem for Staveley and Nathan Benger headed onto Debrouwer, but full-back Jordan Hodder was on hand to block the latter’s shot to concede a corner.

Overall in the first period, Staveley didn’t force Heanor ‘keeper Deakin into making one save in the first half as they were unable to press high up the field and exert more pressure when Heanor where in possession.

Heanor almost scored within two minutes of the restart when Kieran Debrouwer was gifted a free header.

Debrouwer then set up an even better chance for Nathan Benger with his header back across the goalmouth. However Damian Magee was quick to spot the danger and his challenge on Benger was enough to put him off and the forward blazed over from six yards out.

The visitors started to use the flanks to better effect and from one such move, James Ashmore played in a ball that Ellis Wall ran onto and the latter put in a decent cross that Ian Deakin needed two attempts to claim.

Heanor’s number 11 Kieran Debrouwer then had three chances in quick succession as the home side pushed for the decisive second.

Around the 70th minute Staveley then started to gain more possession and created several chances as several of the home defenders appeared to tire and struggled to deal with the pace and fresh legs of substitute Kurtis Morley.

Staveley’s possession and greater attacking threat eventually got its reward after 76 minutes. Brad Jones was initially involved and he found Jahmal Smith in the penalty area. Smith, despite the attentions of three defenders, did well to turn and lay the ball off to Ellis Wall who drilled home a right foot shot from 10 yards.

The decisive third goal was the best of the game. Heanor’s Sam Jones got in a great header that forced a brilliant save from Hernandez who pushed it onto the cross bar. However Jones showed great awareness and acrobatically got a foot to the rebound and scored from close range.

Staveley’s miserable afternoon was made worse on 84 minutes when Smith was sent off after a confrontation with Deakin.

Heanor Town: Ian Deakin, Greg Marriott, Chris Shaw (cap), Daniel Booth, Adrian Hawes, Marc Strzyzewski, Oliver Naylor (Jay Cooper 57), Sam Jones, Nathan Benger, Matt Richards (Jason Gregory 74), Kieran Debrouwer.

Unused subs: Jack Andrews, Kieran Coupe, James Baker (GK)

Staveley MW: Steve Hernandez (cap), Jordan Hodder (James Colliver 54), Arcadi Esposito (Ryan Watters 87), Brad Jones, Ross Goodwin, Damian Magee, Jack Watts (Kurtis Morley 70), Sam Finlaw, Jahmal Smith, James Ashmore, Ellis Wall.

Unused subs:Oli Ryan, Alex Pugh

Attendance: 175.

HTFC Man of the Match: Sam Jones.

SMWFC Man of the Match : Damian Magee.